Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades

/ Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades #1  

dwurm

Tractor
Kubota B7100 HST
I have the above implement which is 15 years old. I have replaced drive belts and rotor brgs, but otherwise has given me excellent service. The chipper blades need turned. Are the bolts Loctited in place? Is sharpening blades worthwhile? Cost of new? Any other suggestions? Don

/ Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades #2  
If you have the manual, there is a procedure for sharpening the blades. I follow that and suggest you do too.
I don't know the price of new blades, but any Woods dealer (Messick's in Lancaster PA is a dealer..and an advertiser on TBN) can provide that info.

The 5000 is a great chipper/shredder....had mine for 5 or 6 years now and it runs great! I keep thinking I want to add the blower/chute, but I guess I just don't wan to spend around a thousand bucks for the kit.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades
I agree with your quote. Unfortunately I never received a manual.

/ Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades #5  
Why not do both? Find and order a set of replacement blades and then take your originals to be sharpened. That's what I did (Morbark Model 125). Blades were about $45 a set, and professional sharpening was about $25 (two edges). My bolts were not Loctited as far as I could tell, but were VERY tight (countersunk, allen head). Due to the original's tightness and their obvious safety significance, I bought a full new set just to be sure.

- Jay

/ Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades #6  
Question should the blades in the thrasher be spinning or stationary?
Thanks
Rolf

/ Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades #7  
I'm still on the original side of my blades. Wallenstein BX62S - purchased new in 2013. I chip around 900 small( 1" to 6" on the butt) green pines every spring - thinning my stands. I'm very careful - no dirt or rocks. Green pines are very soft - easily chipped.

I can take my blades back to the Kubota dealer where I bought the Wallenstein to have them sharpened. $45 for the four blades. New blades are around $20 each.

Rolfe - on a chipper the blades are securly mounted on a rotating rotor. On a shredder the "blades" are, most likely, free swinging on a rotating shaft. Much like a flail.

Last edited:
   / Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder - turn chipper blades #8  
I have the above implement which is 15 years old. I have replaced drive belts and rotor brgs, but otherwise has given me excellent service. The chipper blades need turned. Are the bolts Loctited in place? Is sharpening blades worthwhile? Cost of new? Any other suggestions? Don
I didn't have a Woods but the two I had were identical to your Woods - - or so I've been told. Mine were Bear Cat 5540. Only the name was changed. I bought the first one in 1990 and sold it a few years later. Bought the second one in 2013 and sold it last year.

Mine were ground on only one side. I had my dealer sharpen them once and I sharpened them once, both with poor results. The 4 knifes were so far gone that they were too short to cut properly after sharpening. Much better results were had buying new ones.

The nuts are set with blue Loctite. Use new locknuts when installing and make sure the recessed mounting location is very clean. Any debris could vibrate out, leaving the knife loose.