Buying Advice Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #21  
i would look on craigslist and see what was available used. I would recommend the JD 5xxx (like someone else mentioned), bare bones utility tractor, the new ones can be had with the power reverser. it might be little too large for the woods depending on your woods, i don't like taking in the wood round here it's too big or the trails are too small. i think it wil be hard to go wrong with a bare bones utility type tractor from any manufacturer, MF, JD, CNH, LS, Mahindra, Kioti, Kubota, etc

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #22  
i would look on craigslist and see what was available used. I would recommend the JD 5xxx (like someone else mentioned), bare bones utility tractor, the new ones can be had with the power reverser. it might be little too large for the woods depending on your woods, i don't like taking in the wood round here it's too big or the trails are too small. i think it wil be hard to go wrong with a bare bones utility type tractor from any manufacturer, MF, JD, CNH, LS, Mahindra, Kioti, Kubota, etc

We are also using a 5000 series Deere in the woods, a 5045E (with loader and 4wd) and it works well for that task. Plenty of weight, low center of gravity and a very stout loader make it good in the woods. If you look back to a 5200-5400 and up series you can definitely get a good one for under 20K, might even have enough left over for a winch. In my experience, if you are dealing with logs of any size the weight of the tractor is key. We also use a 2550 Deere for skidding sometimes (2wd, no loader) and it works well also. At 10,000lbs it will skid out large logs or whole trees crown and all, within reason.

Bottom line, you want a heavy, simple, 4wd tractor.

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #23  
I will never forget what an old woodsman friend of my Dad's told him. When you are going into the BUSH, take the biggest machine you got!

Low centre of gravity sounds good, but I would prefer the highest ground clearance possible.

Definitely AG tires, maybe even with chains.

A wet clutch and brakes would be good too!

Probably, if it were me, I would look for something more in an industrial machine. Something that can take a hit or two without smashing into plastic pieces! Forgo the drink holders for a little higher quality and durability.

Last edited:
   / Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #25  
I'd first ask the question of what you think your production is going to be as to the amount of "full" cords (4x4x8) per season. Then i'd ask how large your woodlot is. As far as your tire questions: You being in Maine i'd opt for ags with chains. I'd also opt for a geared machine. Low center of gravity is important and does not necessarily equate to ground clearance sacrifices. Skidders have low centers of gravity and have plenty of ground clearance.

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #26  
I think I did pretty well on it. I shopped around for quite a while and I was looking at all brands with local dealers, both private sale and dealers. This one was a private sale, I talked the guy down a little. He was looking to buy a compact tractor with a cab.

It is a bare bones utility tractor, though. That model is no longer made but to get into a similar new unit is at least $25,000 and most of the ones I checked out were on a smaller size frame and didn't have the loader capacity or taller front tires I mentioned.

View attachment 358759View attachment 358760

Heres a couple pics, if they show up....

Jbos your pallets look custom made for your size splits

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #27  
Arrow,

yes the pallets I make from rough sawn larch/hemlock. the sides are removable so you can stack them flat on the pallet when empty. They are all made on a jig so they are interchangeable.

90% of the wood I sell is 16" so the pallet is 32" to hold exactly 2 rows deep. The width is 48" and the height is whatever it needed to be to get 42.66 cubic feet, 1/3 cord or "face cord".

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #28  
They are very nice. I'd like to see a picture of your jig if you ever have the time. Been noodling this idea myself as found pallets are so diverse in shape and size it becomes difficult to stack them on top of one another when loaded with wood.

/ Woodslot tractor? 50-70hp #29  
I'd first ask the question of what you think your production is going to be as to the amount of "full" cords (4x4x8) per season. Then i'd ask how large your woodlot is. As far as your tire questions: You being in Maine i'd opt for ags with chains. I'd also opt for a geared machine. Low center of gravity is important and does not necessarily equate to ground clearance sacrifices. Skidders have low centers of gravity and have plenty of ground clearance.

I posed this question because in short, the size of your tractor can be figured out. You may be able to get away with a 40 hp tractor or less depending on your criteria. Forest density can also be taken into account. There is definitely such a thing as "too big a tractor" when doing this kind of work without consideration of the variables.