Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence?

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence? #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
Sometimes I need to angle cut strips of wood like this pictured. Two 6"×1.5"×3/4". Center I cut with a table saw, blade lowered to 1/2 thickness so they lock together (that's easy because I move rip fence a little each pass.
The problem is the ends, I mark diagonal then scroll saw cut with blade at this angle 1.5" in, then cut half away. The scroll saw table tilts but not enough so it's "freehand", wood tilted...it works but I need it more precise. Wood I cut different dimensions so angle will be different. What I need is like a scroll saw rip fence with adjustable angle and a stop. That way it cuts evenly and stops at whatever I set it (1" to 3").
Any woodworker know of something like that? It would be clamped to scroll saw table.
20231225_144944.jpg
20231225_145043.jpg
2023_12_25_19.27.39.jpg

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence? #2  
Scroll saw is not really the best tool for that. Do you have any sort of tablesaw? A tilting arbor TS would be perfect.

You could do a makeshift table on top of it set at the angle you want. You can either cut a wedge into it, or just attach a spacer under one edge to lift it to the angle you want (plywood table with a spacer under one edge). Clearance might become an issue as you don't have a ton of blade length you are working with. If these are consistent, you could also screw a strip of wood to the angled table as a fence.

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence? #3  
^^^^
That sounds good, a sliding bed made with 1/2" plywood. Nail a 1/2" runner on the bottom side to be able to use the side or front of the saw table as a fence.

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence?
I have two table saws and router/table and a bandsaw. What I found working with small pieces like that, usually 1" to 3" wide x 1" thick and 4" to 8" long is scroll saw is so much easier, smoother, etc. Table saw is great for larger parts plus it cuts a circle, unlike straight cut scroll or band saw.
What I'll try fabricating is something like a large hinge clamped to table. I have to hold the angle then piece slid along like a rip fence. I was hoping something was available like that someone knew about.

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence? #5  
This would be an excellent application for a type of tenoning jig that rides on your TS fence. Add a toggle clamp or 2 to hold the piece. If you are not familiar with the type, I can dig up some photos, I'm sure.

Heck, here ya go. This one the fence is set at your angle and the blade is straight. You could flip that around and keep the jig straight and angle the blade too. Set the piece on the green angle face up against the fence at the back and mount a toggle clamp or two onto the fence to secure the workpiece. Add handles or whatnot on top to keep your hands away. Just make sure not to cut through any hardware or that could get ugly...

1703567114702.png

It's hard to explain, photo is better, but drawing 1) I mark diagonal, 2) I cut along diagonal about an inch in, then cut out/discard half of it
4) table saw works fine for center, cutting both pieces together moving fence until the two lock together tightly at exact center.
Cutting end a table saw is too rough for small wood pieces. Scroll saw cuts smoother but without fence hard to keep exact angle. I'd have to cut an awful lot of wood at different angles to make the right angle fence.
2023_12_26_00.29.14.jpg

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence? #7  
I guess I am assuming you have a lot of these to do or do it regularly...or both. If so, making a jig is well worth your time. If not then sticking with your current method might be best. What sort of quantities are you talking about here?

I guess I am assuming you have a lot of these to do or do it regularly...or both. If so, making a jig is well worth your time. If not then sticking with your current method might be best. What sort of quantities are you talking about here?
Not all that much quantity but without a fence accuracy is tough. Just a straight edge clamped evenly on table at least keeps it straight but angle is hard to keep aligned.

/ Woodworking? Scroll saw rip fence? #9  
This would be an excellent application for a type of tenoning jig that rides on your TS fence. Add a toggle clamp or 2 to hold the piece. If you are not familiar with the type, I can dig up some photos, I'm sure.

Heck, here ya go. This one the fence is set at your angle and the blade is straight. You could flip that around and keep the jig straight and angle the blade too. Set the piece on the green angle face up against the fence at the back and mount a toggle clamp or two onto the fence to secure the workpiece. Add handles or whatnot on top to keep your hands away. Just make sure not to cut through any hardware or that could get ugly...

View attachment 840507

This would be my solution as well, but on the bandsaw. Put a stop on the backside and you get consistent cuts to the same depth every time.

Not a bad idea except the green part that gives the angle would have to be adjustable because wood pieces I cut are different dimensions. My bandsaw (guessing) probably from table to blade guide is 1.5"-2" max. It's similar to this 60s Craftsman. Table doesn't tilt & no groove.
Scroll saw is best. I'll fabricate something.
2023_12_27_11.30.34.jpg