Work Light Burns Out

/ Work Light Burns Out #1  

Donkey Shade Farm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
I've had this work light for about three months.

Peterson Manufacturing Magnetic Mount Flood Light — 12 Volt | Work Lights | Northern Tool + Equipment

It's a cheap alternative to drilled and hardwired lights. It plugs into the 12v outlet on my tractor. In the three months I've had it the bulb has blown twice. Neither time did it have more than an hour on the bulb. Having never considered myself an electrician, I'm wondering if my TBN brethren might have some ideas about the source of this problem.

/ Work Light Burns Out #2  
Check the voltage on your system. If the voltage regulator is running high, bulbs burn out easily. Could also be vibrations.

Ken

/ Work Light Burns Out #3  
I use a lot of cheap worklights on tractors with up to 8 or 10 on some of them and i get through a lot of bulbs but it seems better with brand name bulbs like hella or something similar.

/ Work Light Burns Out #4  
Check the voltage on your system. If the voltage regulator is running high, bulbs burn out easily. Could also be vibrations.

Ken

I think Ken hit the 2 possibilities right on the nose. Higher voltage will shorten the bulb's life. Significantly higher will really shorten it.

But I'm betting on the vibrations. Is there some way you could insert a small rubber pad betwen the mag base & tractor?

/ Work Light Burns Out #5  
Vibrations, like the above post. The main thing that will blow bulbs is bad grounds or bad power. They don't like the flickering...

/ Work Light Burns Out #6  
when replacing the headlight bulbs, try not to touch the glass. the natural oils from hands causes bulbs to get retain heat and burn out prematurely.

/ Work Light Burns Out #7  
If you can cet a flourescent bulb that will fit, it will take the vibration alot better. I learned that from working on cars using a drop light.