Working in the Bucket

/ Working in the Bucket #21  
Rick, best solution to THAT problem is to run for MAYOR in the next election! It's not an answer to the immediate problem, but can be an answer for the long term issues for you and a lot of people. Just think, tripling the tax evaluation of those eight rental properties! Not to mention billing for the street/sidewalk improvements in front of each property!
Can't say I blame you though, principle is much more important in the long run. Best of luck, and document every conversation, and contact with that person!

/ Working in the Bucket #22  
Another thing to add on documenting of conversations. Put the person on hold and have a message that says---To help ensure our on going growth your call may be recorded to help in our customer satisfaction or someting like that. Bet that sure would change the tone of the conversation.

Scruff's tax program sure would go over nice!!!

I won't say what I would do but whatever you do decide to do Good Luck and as always make sure all your bases are covered. Sometimes I love living in a small town but other times I hate it with the small town KINGS or should I say people who think they are KINGS.
Gordon

/ Working in the Bucket #23  
Rick - I think that the next time I talked to her (and I'd make sure it was soon), I'd tell her that civil suits in Federal Court hold elected officials personally responsible for damages awarded due to abuse of power in cases where it's deemed "arbitrary and capricious" and/or "willful and malicious". That's right, there's no amnesty, no hiding behind the local government's coattails on that one. And while you're at it, ask her for copies of the local code that stipulate how long she can wait to handle zoning issues, and have her put in writing her requested deadline to find out your stand in the lawsuit matter and when she plans on letting you know about the zoning issue. That'll get her searching for the reverse gear.

Also, if you know anybody on the local paper, have them call her and mention the two dates, and ask if there's any connection between them. I've got some more tried and proven tactics, if you need 'em. The local boys in my area needed training a while back, too. The ones that didn't have to leave town play the game pretty honestly these days.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Working in the Bucket #24  
Gordon & scruffy,
Present mayor was in for 12 yrs. finally lost term before
last. New mayor could not accomplish anything, so did not
run again, and old mayor got it again. You can't fight
council either. One has a fireworks stand. Prime property
belonging to mayor. Another has a son that is police
officer. Gets promoted regularly. Still another wanted a
piece of property at main intersection for a new restaurant
and low and behold, it was condemned when owner would not
sell. A new restaurant now stands there. The last council
member is the mayors son in law. A new mayor, especially
one that has @%^(&^-!@x enough to buck the council would
not last a week. A supporter of any one of them can get
zoning variances on a whim. Any one that has bucked the
system cannot even get a building permit for a tool shed
in the back yard. Many have tried, many have failed.
The new restaurant was built by the mayors husband who
happens to own a construction company. No one says a word
about the mayors 11 yr. old grandson riding his 4 wheel
motorcycle around town with no helmet, no lights on bike
and speeding. If you did, you would suffer somwhow.
Yeah I know, if you don't like it, move. I plan to as soon
as I can afford to, or I go bankrupt. Whichever comes first.
Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing

/ Working in the Bucket #25  
Mark,
Maybe you or some of the guys remember a mayor being on
60 Minutes, and in people magazine in 1994. She sexually
harassed a male employee, and was sued in federal court.
She lost to the tune of $360.000.00. Many tried to have her
impeached. Not an impeachable offense they say. Still
mayor. Those that testified on her behalf get pretty much
what they want even though she lost the case. Fear is the
name of the game here, and she can strike fear in the
hearts of them all. She has been sued before for political
favoratism. She won that one due to council backing her
every move. A major newspaper was called, and they sent
out a reporter. No one would confirm what was going on, and
the story was never written. Majority of our population
are retired blue collar people. They just want to be left
alone. Don't want to get involved and risk losing anything.
Can't blame them. It ain't over yet. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing

/ Working in the Bucket #26  
Rick, you have my sympathy and best wishes for good luck. I grew up in little towns that had similar problems, and the one my mail comes from now is still the same way. The 91 year old mayor who died last year had been king for as long as anyone else in the area could remember. Fortunately, I live about 12 miles outside the city limits.

Bird

/ Working in the Bucket #27  
RICK<sorry to hear that you live in such a chicken---t city! Here if a council member has anything come up that could possibly be a conflict of intrest,that councilman abstains from voting on that issue.jim