Working with a newer M-F dealer on a vintage M-F 50.

/ Working with a newer M-F dealer on a vintage M-F 50. #1  

can do

Gold Member
Tractor
M-F1526,M-F50
I just had some major repairs done on my 1959 M-F 50 gasoline ( Stella ) I visited this dealer last August to see what they were like, & to get a feel of their operation. This dealer just opened there doors about 2.5 years ago; After the owners that were their over 10 years ago had closed the doors, & it was not from a lack of business; This is a prime location. Anybody who has travel route 17 & 29 in Va. would have passed by this location with there large Massey-Ferguson sign out front. I use to go there to buy parts that they had in stock, & they were only 28.5 miles away. This was the closest dealer to me. Now going to current times the M-F 50 developed a gear oil leak that was rather excessive around the clutch & trans. When i stopped in there I told them what type of tractors I had , they told me their head tech. had 40 years experience working on M-F's tractor. I kept this in the back of mind as I was busy with other diy projects & my garage was tied up. Well winter was here, & I needed to start working my log spliter that I hook up to Stella& I didn't have time to split the tractor,& do the work myself. Long story, But I took the tractor in for the repairs to be done the 1st week in Dec.& just picked it up on Jan.13th. I'm so glad that I trusted this dealer to do the work properly. The biggest delay was getting some of the parts in. Needless to say Stella was put back work the next day after getting her home, & just in time for the cold that's going to set in around our area. I have no regrets for what I paid to have Stella fixed properly.& it's nice to have a dealership close to home again; That I can trust, & work with.
IMG_20201203_160905.jpg

/ Working with a newer M-F dealer on a vintage M-F 50. #2  
I always wondered why that dealer closed, I don't have any M-F equipment but was sad to see another old dealer close down.
I'm happy that it has been revived.

I don't drive that way regularly but seems they have a pretty good inventory on the lot lately, hope that means they are doing well!

/ Working with a newer M-F dealer on a vintage M-F 50.
I always wondered why that dealer closed, I don't have any M-F equipment but was sad to see another old dealer close down.
I'm happy that it has been revived.

I don't drive that way regularly but seems they have a pretty good inventory on the lot lately, hope that means they are doing well!
The older dealer was family owned, & the dealers name was Smith's & Sons. rumor has it that there was allot of in fighting between the sons. I've met the new owners, & it's a family owned & it turns out they only live about a mile from me. I also like the senior tech. that I met; He did keep me informed along the way on the cost, & what the culprit was, & what needed to be done. I like that he has that much experience, & is showing the new techs. the ropes on the vintage M-F's; He is the main reason I took Stella there. You just can't beat someone who has that much experience.

/ Working with a newer M-F dealer on a vintage M-F 50. #4  
I grew up with a 1963 MF 50 Diesel. It was the most powerful tractor for a 6 mile radius. One of the first diesels in our area. We put 14.9-28 tires on it when the old 13.6s wore out. It was a real workhorse then. We pulled a 12ft IHC tandem disc with it. My only objection was it did not have power steering.

I grew up with a 1963 MF 50 Diesel. It was the most powerful tractor for a 6 mile radius. One of the first diesels in our area. We put 14.9-28 tires on it when the old 13.6s wore out. It was a real workhorse then. We pulled a 12ft IHC tandem disc with it. My only objection was it did not have power steering.
You have quite a assortment of equipment. Do You still own the M-F 65 listed? Those are real workhorses, & does it have a gasoline engine? I also noticed the Oliver; As well as a White. When I picked up my M-F 50 I notice that they had a M-F 65 parked next to mine with a straight 6 gasoline engine, & was in the shop when I dropped mine off. I believe Oliver made those 6's for M-F; Or GM did. My M-F 50 doesn't have power steering either, But is used mainly to skid logs, & is hooked up to the log splitter; I do on a occasion grade our road, But the front end has never been down it the earth so speak; So it's probably easier to steer with out power steering. The M-F 50's were quite a tractor back then, & IMHO they still are for what I use it for.

You have quite a assortment of equipment. Do You still own the M-F 65 listed? Those are real workhorses, & does it have a gasoline engine? I also noticed the Oliver; As well as a White. When I picked up my M-F 50 I notice that they had a M-F 65 parked next to mine with a straight 6 gasoline engine, & was in the shop when I dropped mine off. I believe Oliver made those 6's for M-F; Or GM did. My M-F 50 doesn't have power steering either, But is used mainly to skid logs, & is hooked up to the log splitter; I do on a occasion grade our road, But the front end has never been down it the earth so speak; So it's probably easier to steer with out power steering. The M-F 50's were quite a tractor back then, & IMHO they still are for what I use it for.
( correction ) I found out that the inline six for M-F 65's were also made by Continental engines. The sixes that I was thinking of were on the M-F 98's.