Workmaster 33 won't run

/ Workmaster 33 won't run #11  
First, change the fuel filter on the tractor and clean the tank. If your tractor has a fuel lift pump, check that too. Also the fuel lift assembly on the tank, maybe it is sucking trash until the screen fills. Once the engine stops, the dirt falls back down... All it takes is to fill the tractor up one time with dirty fuel, and the filter is plugged.

/ Workmaster 33 won't run
I was not draining the fuel filter regularly, but I am now. I don't know what/where the water separator is. One of my biggest problems is I have found practically no information on the internet regarding this tractor and the operator's manual has very little information in it. When I drain the fuel filter, I can't tell if there's any water coming out or not, it all looks the same to me. :( The idea did just occur to me yesterday that it is condensation related or water getting in there somehow as I don't have a shed and the tractor sits outside. After a hard rain, maybe that's when it gives me problems and when I use the tractor after 3 or 4 hot days, maybe that's when it'll run all day for me with no problems because everything is dried up. I don't know that this is the case, but I can't figure out for the life of me how it'll run for hours with no problems and then sometimes won't hardly run at all unless it's moisture related, trash related or an electrical short somewhere. I'll try to go through all this and try all these ideas and I'll find a biocide to put in there. If I can't come up with something quick, I'll have to take it to the dealer because I am swamped with work and it's killing me not having my tractor. Thank y'all for your help!

Been meaning to get back in here and update this, but haven't taken the time. Figured I should in case anyone else is having problems. I ended up taking my tractor in to the dealer where I bought it. They kept it for two months and ended up swapping the computer out. I was told they had "2 or 3 more in there doing the same thing" and the NH engineers had been in there trying to figure it out and they weren't having much luck. Personally, I don't buy that. If it was a few months old and a bunch of tractors were doing something, ok maybe it's a mfg defect of software bug or whatever. Four years down the road, all of a sudden 4 tractors are doing the exact same thing and even the NH engineers have never seen this problem? Meh.... Anyway, they swapped out the computer and said it was ready. When I came in, the service manager cheerfully announced that they were covering it under warranty, otherwise the bill would have been $6,100. I told him that was a good thing, otherwise they could keep that sum*****. $6,100 part on a $16,000 tractor brand new. smh I asked him if they could just bypass the computer somehow and he said they couldn't. I also asked him what was the point of having the computer if it couldn't even tell the ENGINEERS WHO DESIGNED THE DANG THING what was wrong with the tractor? He didn't know. So anyway, I take it home and go back to work. First or second time I use the tractor, I'm dragging my driveway and it starts to rain. I keep on going and a few minutes later, the dang thing shuts off on me again. I was not a happy camper. I call the guy up and give him the news and he says they'll come get it. I forget what they did to it that time, but when I talked to him, he said, "It's on you this time. The lights you had connected into the wiring was causing a short." I replied, "No sir. When the problems first started, the first thing I did to diagnose the problem was disconnect those lights and they have not been connected since. When I got ready to connect them back up, I was going to mount an external battery box and wire them into that so they would not interfere with the electrical system in any way." He was like, "OH. Well, we got it running and you shouldn't have any more problems out of it." And I haven't. I've got 1400 hours on it now and haven't had any more problems out of it. They didn't charge me anything for either trip, so I was happy about that.

Now here's my take on it, keeping in mind that this was my first tractor and I know very little about tractor design and engineering. If he was telling the truth about there being 3 other same tractors in there with the same problem, I believe the Workmaster 33 has some type of design flaw that allows an electrical short when something gets wet. I did get a foot throttle switch sensor code that one time on the dash, so maybe that part was bad, I don't remember now if they swapped that out or not. But before, I never had the tractor under cover and I would use it in the rain if it started raining and I was working on something. Now I keep it in a little lean-to I built until I can get my shop built and I never use the tractor in the rain. If memory serves, every time it shut off on me it was raining or had been raining at some point shortly before using the tractor and I think something was just shorting out. That's exactly how it acted, just like you had a kill switch running to ground on a lawn mower or something. Whether they actually fixed something or whether it's me keeping it dry, it has not given me any more problems. They did take care of the situation and it didn't cost me anything other than driving it over there to them the first time and I appreciated that. The service manager seems like a nice fella and always returned calls and handled the situation. He may have been stonewalling me about the situation, but I'm sure he was just telling me what the engineers were telling him and he was somewhat caught in the middle. I repaired computers and worked on computer networks for a long time and I myself have had situations where I had no idea what the heck I did to get something to work other than waving the old magic wand and saying abra cadabra, hocus pocus, and you just kinda had to tell someone something that would pacify them. :)

Not to knock New Holland, but I'd have to think long and hard before I purchased another new tractor from them. Of course, I guess with new tractor designs, they're all probably the same now. But with a 4"x4" circuit board that could fail at any time, is proprietary and I can't replace it myself costing almost 40% of the cost of the ENTIRE TRACTOR, I'd have to pass. My understanding that if the DPF chamber fails, that's 2 or 3 thousand itself. So over half the cost of the tractor really has nothing to do with putting power to the wheels on the ground, other than it's just designed that way. :( That's a shame. So at my neighbor's equipment auction last summer, I bought a Ford 3400 diesel and a Ford 2000 gasser to tinker with. :D They may end up costing me more by far, but MAN I love 'em!

P.S. I did just break the hydraulic steering link on the tractor and I've got to fix that. The snap ring that held in the pin that went through the end of the hydraulic arm and the yoke on the wheel broke or came off, probably going through brush. The pin then worked its way out of the lower half of the yoke and then the upper half of the yoke just couldn't take the twisting pressure and it snapped off. I think I can just fabricate a new piece and weld it on and get 'er going again. Meanwhile I'm using my 3400. It may not be much compared to what some of y'all are driving, but to me that thing is a BEAST! :)

/ Workmaster 33 won't run #14  
Sensors and computers... Tractors from the 1970s wouldn't be running today if they had them

Sensors and computers... Tractors from the 1970s wouldn't be running today if they had them

Agreed. I guess it would be illegal to reverse engineer some of these controller boards, but I wish some bright young engineering or computer science student would come out with some type of universal controller board or something that ran on a RaspberryPi that was open source and could replace some of these things. You just feel cheated when your money is extorted from you by a proprietary part that locks you into that company. How about just building something of quality that'll last or at least can be replaced by someone with a phone call. I understand service is where the money is but dang.... Now that the tractor is out of warranty, if I had to replace the computer or the DPF chamber I would try to sell it or part it out and sell it. 3rd option would be to sand as much paint off it as I could to facilitate a quick rusting and park it out by the driveway as "road art". :) Last summer, I bought a Ford 3400 at auction for $6,000. 10% sales tax & 10% buyer's premium put me at $7,200. If I get 2 years out of it, that'd be a $300 monthly payment. Show me where I can get a 46 hp diesel tractor with a loader that's built like a tank for $300/month and I'll jump on that deal. :)

/ Workmaster 33 won't run #16  
Agreed. I guess it would be illegal to reverse engineer some of these controller boards, but I wish some bright young engineering or computer science student would come out with some type of universal controller board or something that ran on a RaspberryPi that was open source and could replace some of these things. You just feel cheated when your money is extorted from you by a proprietary part that locks you into that company. How about just building something of quality that'll last or at least can be replaced by someone with a phone call. I understand service is where the money is but dang.... Now that the tractor is out of warranty, if I had to replace the computer or the DPF chamber I would try to sell it or part it out and sell it. 3rd option would be to sand as much paint off it as I could to facilitate a quick rusting and park it out by the driveway as "road art". :) Last summer, I bought a Ford 3400 at auction for $6,000. 10% sales tax & 10% buyer's premium put me at $7,200. If I get 2 years out of it, that'd be a $300 monthly payment. Show me where I can get a 46 hp diesel tractor with a loader that's built like a tank for $300/month and I'll jump on that deal. :)

Yeah, probably can't. The selling point for me to buy a TYM/Branson, was the lack of computers and sensors. It's a mechanical tractor. They are the only ones left. Everything else is CRDI and run by an expensive ECM

• Good Post
Reactions: NTG
Yeah, probably can't. The selling point for me to buy a TYM/Branson, was the lack of computers and sensors. It's a mechanical tractor. They are the only ones left. Everything else is CRDI and run by an expensive ECM
I'll keep that in mind! I think there's a Branson dealer not too far from me.