Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #1  

bkruszka

Tractor
Kubota B7510 HST
Does anyone know if the L 3240 is capable of using a 6 foot brushog. Or do I need to go up to another size.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #2  
No need to go to a bigger GL, downsize to a L3400....

Last edited:
   / Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #3  
I just took delivery of a 3240 (DT/8x8 shuttle) with a 5 foot bushhog. For comparison, I used to have an L3830 with a 6 foot hog. Although the 3240 is capable of "spinning" the 6 footer, I think it would bog down in anything other than medium height grass. I asked my dealer if he thought it would spin the 6 footer...they were in stock...sitting right there...but he recomended the 5 foot hog. The 6 footer would be a few inches wider than the track. The 5 footer is a few inches less than the track.

If you have to have the 6 footer, upgrade to the 3540 or 3940.

I don't know how the L3400 compares to the Grand L series, but I've now owned 2 Grand L's. They are heavy, well built machines, as are most Kubota's.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #4  
I pull a 6' hog with my L3400 (27.5 PTO HP), but I'm not cutting down big trees and such.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #5  
There is a similar thread about the 3130. I had a 3130 with a 5' hog because my dealer didn't recommend the 6'. My problem was, the 5' wasn't as wide as the R4 tires. I ended up trading the 3130 for 5030 and a 6' and it is great. I don't think you need to go as big as that, but I would go bigger to drive a 6'. For jobs you do a lot you don't want to be marginal.

-Brian

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #6  
There are several things to consider, what you are cutting, terrain, your time frame. I'd say you could pull the six foot if ground speed wasn't a concern as you are cutting a wider width so you might not gain anytime over the five foot but you would have a neater job.

I like to see diesels run hard and worked, after all that is what they were made for! I have 84" twin spindles working behind L-3400 hydro's with good results.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #7  
Try the Bushhog "squealer 84" twin spindle. Only takes 25 PTO HP to run. That way you can cut a 7 foot swath with less PTO HP than a 6' single spindle bushhog.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #8  
Anybody running the "Squealer" 84" twin spindle with a 25 to 30 PTO/HP tractor? I'm curious about the performance and cost.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #9  
What are you going to be using it for? I've got a GL3240, and a 5' RC. I, too, wasn't sure what size to get. When I mentioned I would be clearing horse trails in the woods, I was advised to get the 5-footer, as much for maneuvering ability as for not being underpowered, and it was very good advice.

At least, I've been gnawing down 2"-3" trees, and fitting between bigger ones. The RC is just about the width of the rear tires, which makes judging things in the woods easier. I haven't run a 6' RC on it to compare, but for cutting horse and/or 4 wheeler trails, the difference between a 5' and 6' hog is probably nil. Most of our trails are either one pass with a 5'er, or two passes and wide enough that in no case would an extra foot of width save that second pass...... Therefore, the 5'er is just as quick, and handles the scrub growth easier on that 25 PTO hp.

Outside of the woods, we have some treeless but weedy flat ground that I'll maintain with a 6' RFM, once I go over it with the RC to make sure there are no rocks or other foreign objects that might be too rough on the RFM.

/ Would a L 3240 be able to pull a 6 foot hog #10  
Most of what I am currently mowing is pasture. Mostly level with few if any obstructions. If I could afford it, I would get the 7 footer in addition to the 5 footer. Basically, the 7 footer would be like my "finish" mower. Anybody got one? I'm going to post in the "Attachments" section to see if anybody is using that unit.