Would I have enough amps?

/ Would I have enough amps?
k0ua said:
Bird come by and left a deposit?:)

Actually, it wasn't a bird. I had a bad cold and I sneezed right on it! :D

/ Would I have enough amps? #22  
Nothing wrong with a 115 volt mig/wire feeder as long as it is a quality 115 volt unit - None of the $90 to $150 units fall into this category though. Look at the data plate on your Northern unit as see what the Output voltage is? If it is AC output, then you got ripped off and that welder will never work right as all mig wire and all flux core wire are all designed to be used with DC and Constant voltage outputs neither of which you get with AC.

On the other hand nothing wrong with AC output on a stick welder as there are rods designed to work with AC output and stick although most still do prefer DC but it does cost more.

Nothing wrong with running a 240 volt stickwelder such as a Lincoln buzzbox, Miller Thunderbolt, or Hobart Stickmate off an extension cord. You can easily run one of these off of 10 gauge cord up to a distance of 100' or so without any issues whatsoever as per manufacturers manuals. An extension cord is handy to have anyway as it allows you to have some measure of portability. You can go to a friend's house and utilize a household cooking stove plug or dryer plug (although dryer plug will be limited). Run the cord out a window or door and you can weld away.

Try some 7014 in that Harbor freight buzzbox stick welder you have. 7014 burns sweet on AC and practically welds itself - which is why it is frequently called idiot rod. 7014 likes a few more amps though than 6013 will.

Last edited:
   / Would I have enough amps? #23  
Another option is you could grind a keyway into the bottom of the pipe and weld a key to your base plate in garage.You won't need an extension cord and you can put as heavy a key as needed.

/ Would I have enough amps?
Unfortunately I cannot bring the column to my garage because I do not have the clearance to get the baseplate up and over the anchor bolts. However, I think I do have an easy solution to my 240v problem. I have an AC unit about 6 feet away from this column. It is wired for 240v at 30A. I'll hijack that for an hour or so to stick weld the column.

/ Would I have enough amps? #25  
I think all replies have a valid point but I think what your looking to do would
be ok to do. Like you said there is no real structural stress on the weld but only to hold the verticals in place in case they are bumped. I have welded things with my miller 140 that should of had a bigger welder but prep is very important. If concerned I would bevel the edge and run root pass and then a couple of cover passes. I would suggest flux core which burns a lot hotter and avoid cords . If you need a cord then minimum of 12 gauge, preferably a 10 gauge cord.

agree....