Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed?

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #1  

TxDoc

Tractor
Kubota ZG227, wanting BX25D
I did not want to intrude on the chainsaw danger thread. The worst thing about the chainsaw cut to skin is that is does not cut a nice, smooth cut with edges that can be sutured nicely. Each tooth jerks out a chunk of skin, leaving a jagged, mess.

As a kid, I was always most afraid of my dad's table saw. When running, it was scarey and when turned off...that ching, ching ching... was chilling. The first time I saw the Saw Stop, I could not believe it could prevent damage with such a fast blade tip speed.

So, would you stick your finger in....to prove a point?

Sure you would! If your name was Steve Gass and you truly believed in your product.

[YoutubecTUOhYcw4ZY:]
How the SawStop Technology Works | SawStop

Last edited:
   / Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #2  
No chance my finger will intentionally ever get put into a moving saw blade, regardless of the safety equipment.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #3  
My Grandfather did, and lost part of the digit.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #4  
No, I wouldn't intentionally do it.

But I certainly HAVE done it accidentally from time to time.... :D

ry%3D400

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #5  
I did not want to intrude on the chainsaw danger thread. The worst thing about the chainsaw cut to skin is that is does not cut a nice, smooth cut with edges that can be sutured nicely. Each tooth jerks out a chunk of skin, leaving a jagged, mess.

As a kid, I was always most afraid of my dad's table saw. When running, it was scarey and when turned off...that ching, ching ching... was chilling. The first time I saw the Saw Stop, I could not believe it could prevent damage with such a fast blade tip speed.

So, would you stick your finger in....to prove a point?

Sure you would! If your name was Steve Gass and you truly believed in your product.

[YoutubecTUOhYcw4ZY:]
How the SawStop Technology Works | SawStop

Let me pose this question to you... Would you intentionally pee on an electric fence?

I have ro disagree with you on the jagged cut in as much as I just did that exact thing to myself (and my wife bought me a pair of Kevlar chaps with strict instructions that I wear them when using the chainsaw....

I received 30 nice stitches in my leg where I sliced it (over my kneecap of all places, even took a look at it and yes, it's grey/white like bone shoud be). The cut was very clean with no ragged edges, of course I had just sharpened the saw chain so maybe that was the reason) but the ER doc even commented on how clean the cut was. She only had to snip off a tiny bit of tissue at the very end.

best part was, it never hurt. A little sore afterward and no showers for a week (I got a bit ripe) but even the sewing up was basically painless. The er doc told me that there are very few nerve endings on your knee. I believe her, I never felt it except at the end and a bit of numbing stuff fixed that.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #7  
I know a fellow that lost a thumb on a table saw. He also had to buy an extra chain saw to saw his original chain saw out of a a tree that it got pinched in. His first experience with both saws. Saws are not for everyone yet. OSHA hasn't made them people proof.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed?
Let me pose this question to you... Would you intentionally pee on an electric fence?

I have ro disagree with you on the jagged cut in as much as I just did that exact thing to myself (and my wife bought me a pair of Kevlar chaps with strict instructions that I wear them when using the chainsaw....

I received 30 nice stitches in my leg where I sliced it (over my kneecap of all places, even took a look at it and yes, it's grey/white like bone shoud be). The cut was very clean with no ragged edges, of course I had just sharpened the saw chain so maybe that was the reason) but the ER doc even commented on how clean the cut was. She only had to snip off a tiny bit of tissue at the very end.

best part was, it never hurt. A little sore afterward and no showers for a week (I got a bit ripe) but even the sewing up was basically painless. The er doc told me that there are very few nerve endings on your knee. I believe her, I never felt it except at the end and a bit of numbing stuff fixed that.

Yes, nothing is absolute when it comes to injuries. Factors such as chain speed, width of chain that makes the kerf, chain with cutter on every tooth vs every other tooth, pressure applied, soft tissue vs bone underneath, etc., could surely all differ. You were fortunate and I am happy for your outcome! :)

Here are some nice chainsaw cuts, maybe turn down your sound on the second if things like that bother you.

https://www.toolbox.co.uk/chainsaw-injuries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCsh9zvD5M (this one is the ouchie one)

P1 - Deep Forearm LAC due to Chainsaw accident - YouTube

P2 OF complex LAC due to chainsaw. - YouTube (jagged edges trimmed prior to suturing so the suture line is cleaner looking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7hbPFTK_jU 9 (final result, prior to healing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbMvxLRdpm0 (BUT, they are little, itty, bitty chainsaws! No one fears them! :) )

Have a great evening.