wrestled a Bobcat

/ wrestled a Bobcat
I noticed on the Bobcat that I rented, there was a Kubota diesel under the hood. I think that is a tried and true powerplant for any piece of equipment. My friend that told me of his experience with Gehl brand skidsteer, said that it had hand controls for everything except throttle control. That was his reason for liking it over a Bobcat. I personally would buy a Bobcat for the reasons you've stated (parts availability, dealer support). I had no trouble learning to use foot controls, and did not see anything difficult about it. Also, I am 6'5" tall and I fit in the cab pretty well. I was kinda stiff after about 6 hours, but isn't that true with any piece of equipment after extended use? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ wrestled a Bobcat #12  
Don't mean to sound like I'm advocating Thomas - just making an observation as I have to actual experience in owning either brands. Guess a "newcomer" on the block is always going to have to overcome the reputations of those who have a tried and true reputation. Guess my point was since the engines are made independantly (think they used yanmar diesels, same company that makes engines for Deere), the hydraulic drive motors are made by another company, the only thing left is a bunch of welded steel and hydraulic controls and hoses. Just seemed like there was a "universality" to the parts that make up skidsteers that would make part availabilty less of an issue than some other types of equipment though I could be wrong here. I HAVE noticed that used bobcats 751/753 etc, DO seem to sell for as much as a NEW Thomas of similar size. Just wondered if that was because Thomas was an inferior product or just unproven. Guess I'd like to hear from someone whose bought/used them??

/ wrestled a Bobcat #13  
I think with a kubota diesel in the Bobcat, the engine is one of the most reliable parts. From what I have seen, it is the engineering of the system, and how much thought has been put into maintenance, etc. that makes the difference. Yes, bot engines are good. The head aches will not be from the engine, but from the rest of the machine.

Jim

/ wrestled a Bobcat #14  
I shopped for a used New Holland skid steer yesterday at an area Kubota dealer (pretty ecumenical behavior for a Deere owner, huh?). I'm not sure I recall the model numbers but one was something like a 465 and the other a 565. As soon as I got in one I knew one thing for sure- I need something bigger if I'm going to use it myself.

There was just nowhere in that cab to put my long legs. My guess is that the general design of skid steer loaders may well preclude me owning one. I don't necessarily need something with more power or capacity. I just need one with more leg room in the cab. Unlike my tractor, the design of the equipment is such that moving the seat back isn't an option. If anyone has any serious suggestions as to what I ought to consider 'trying on' for size, please let me know.

/ wrestled a Bobcat #15  
Gary, Last year at county fair time, I climbed in a Cat skidsteer and noted it was very roomy. I'm only 5'10 and 200 lbs. but, it was very comfy. I liked the uncluttered floor board; there's only one pedal. (throttle) Engines are perkins I think... Just an Idea.

/ wrestled a Bobcat #16  
I never even thought of Cat. The worst part is I have a Cat dealer only a couple miles up the road I drive past all the time. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Thanks for the idea. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ wrestled a Bobcat #17  
My <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbase.com/image/717226>Bobcat 873</A> feels pretty roomy to me! If I put the seat all the way back, my feet barely touch the floor. I'm not a tall guy though (5'9", 200 lbs.)

/ wrestled a Bobcat #18  
I am 6' 2" tall and have a JD 250 SSL, I have plenty of
room and am comfortable for 8 hr. at a time.
I used Bobcats (seemed smaller inside) and just like
the Deere better.