X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing

/ X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing #1  

LoudonNH

Bronze Member
Tractor
2017 JD5100M, 2014 JD5075E, 2017 JD3039R, 2023 JD X730
I just bought a new X730 with 54” mower deck. Can anyone advise how to disable the feature that shuts down the mower/PTO when I back up? Thanks.

/ X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing #2  
Hold the button up ?

Last edited:
   / X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing
Yes. I’d like to bypass that function, in order to reverse without pushing the button.

/ X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing #4  
Find the two terminals that become common when you engage the override and make them common to each other.

On my X540 it was a simple jumper wire on the PTO switch with no wire cutting required. Can put back to factory in a matter of seconds if required

/ X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing #5  
With my much simpler 155c, all it took was a jumper across the wires on the back of the switch.

/ X730 PTO Shuts down in reverse when mowing #6  
On my X738, I got sick of using the button as I would occasionally miss it and then it would kill the PTO. PITA. And at my place I do a ton of K-turns, so this was a constant headache.

Mine has 2 methods to override the reverse safety. You either pull up on the PTO button/switch on the right side, or you can push the yellow plunger (button) on the left side.

The yellow plunger will just pull right out of the dash with a flat blade to pry gently and then I wired a jumper across the 2 terminals, leaving the connector in place. If I ever find a need to bring it to a dealer, I just need to pop the switch back out and pull the jumper so they don't try to "fix the broken safety" for me... Made life a whole lot better!