Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
The ongoing saga of Rhino rollovers... and zealous lawyers...

See this link...

Yamaha Motor Corp. Offers Free Repair For 450 and 660 Model Rhino Vehicles: CPSC advises consumers not to use the off-road vehicles until repaired

ADDED: I just called Yamaha's 1-800 customer service number -- even the folks answering the phones there know nothing about this. They ask that owners give them a couple of days to get all the details.

I called because I wanted to make sure my recent purchase was loaded in the system so (a) my warranty is in effect and (b) I'd be officially notified of this...

Last edited:
   / Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #3  
Lord...sigh...well they already banned my 3 wheelers..sigh
It is a dangerous world.
BTW nice UTV

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #4  
my buddy had his 04 updated with the doors....great for hard riding......crappy when you are trying to work around the property...a + over-all......

i love how the media loves to beat up on atvs........what they just about always forget to mention is that the operator was under the influence.....two guys i ride with had cousins kill themselves on atvs......they were drinking......a man got killed down the street from me a few months back.....he was drinking.......a man i work with had a nephew driving an atv on the street......he was drinking......all killed THEMSELVES because they were riding atvs and drinking....and these are the ones that come to mind in the past year or so.....

when i ride, i take some chances.....i use my noggin to tell me just how dangerous it might be.........i may misjudge something one day but that's MY fault!

the rhinos i rode in were unbelievably stable.......every time i go out with one, i'm amazed at how hard it actually is to tip one over......i've seen guys (some drunk some not) do absolutely amazing things on these machines......

if you gave the average driver a 500hp new corvette and let them drive it, i'd go out on limb to say that most just can't handle something like that.......and wipe out

how come everything i enjoy as a hobby; two strokes, fossil fuel burning engines, guns, atvs, etc. is bad;):mad: i wish the city slickers would just take care of themselves and regulate themselves......why do they have the "i know better than thou" attitude...go tend to your rooftop zen garden!

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #5  
yea i called my dealer and i am the first one on the list as soon as they get the parts in . i'm gonna yank the sway bar again before i go back in with it because it rides better without it anyways. as for as the wheel spacers i don't know how wide they gonna be they didn't really tell me. the lady for yamaha told me to get the helmet you gotta sit down and watch a safety video on how to drive the rhino after they do the work to your rhino and they will give you a free helmet.

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #6  
oh, i didn't see the addtional wheel spacers and sway bar removal:rolleyes:

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #7  
how come everything i enjoy as a hobby; two strokes, fossil fuel burning engines, guns, atvs, etc. is bad;):mad: i wish the city slickers would just take care of themselves and regulate themselves......why do they have the "i know better than thou" attitude...go tend to your rooftop zen garden!

I hear ya. Remember were just enviroment destroying rednecks on atv's.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Im sick of the environmentalists and politicians who've NEVER even sat on an ATV or snowmobile coming up with new ways to restrict a sport that they have no understanding of.

Like you, most if not all the fatalities i know of involved Alcohol in some way. Any sXs ive ridden with have been very stable and safe. More laws arent the answer for stupid.

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #8  
it's always good to have an old fella riding a very old atv that has some really bad rings and smokes alot depending on the wind i will let him get up or down wind because he gets rid of them skeeters and gnats while at the same time eattin up that ozone hole a bit more.the bigger the ozone hole the more gas it lets out. if we don't let that gas out then one day the worlds gonna come to an end with one huge fart.

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #9  
I'm all for safety but some laws are just stupid. In NC, where I have property, I can't even use my ATV for work at .1mph without being required to wear a helmet and goggles on my own property. Now I'm all for helmets and goggles if I'm tearing down a trail, but to require it by law on my own property when using it for low speed low risk work just ticks me off:mad:

BTW I had a 2006 Rhino and never managed to turn it over, reminds me of all the turnover crap with small Broncos back about 89 or so, had one, never turned it over either:p

/ Yamaha Rhino recall, 3/31/09 #10  
why would they make you wear a helmet on your property??? the goggles i can understand i need a pair they can come in handy for keepin the stuff out the eyes but the helmet ???
my 08 rhino never came close to rollin over yet my buddy who has a few beers when he rides rolled his very easy . i have lots of back and neck problems so i pretty much ride the rhino like it was meant to ride "get you from point a to point b in the mud or trails . it wasn't made for cutting corners wide open or made for drastic hill climbs nor was it made for 1000lb carg hauls while riding the trails it was made for two hunters to get to their hunting grounds with thier gear thats why it has just a 400lb pay load and until people learn that they will still get killed in it.

my wife had a fit when she seen the welcome page with the rhino on it saying 46 people died and they have a recall on them now .she looked at me and said are you stupid with your spinal problems you go out and buy something like that??? i still can't explain to her that it's not the utv it's the drivers . just like guns people talk about guns kill people guns don't kill people people kill people!!! i can lay a loaded gun down in the middle of time square and it won't jump up and go on a shooting spree it needs human help . people need to stop putting blame on the objects and start putting blame on the humans.