Yanmar 1500D starting

/ Yanmar 1500D starting #1  

Victory51

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
My yanmar has never giving me trouble starting but now just cranks but doesn't start. Is there a fuse or a magneto or something that causes fire to start.

/ Yanmar 1500D starting #2  
There is nothing electrical required on that engine except the starter and maybe a glow plug (thermostart). It just needs fuel, compression, and air to start. Have you used starting fluid on it at all? That can cause pretty immediate damage and prevent the tractor from starting again (breaks the piston ring grooves so it can't build compression). Other than that, assuming the starter is spinning the engine over at a pretty good speed, the most likely suspect is going to be fuel. Is there any chance you could have water or contamination in your fuel? Try removing the rubber hose that goes into the injection pump and see if you get a good stream of good fuel.

/ Yanmar 1500D starting
If the glow plug goes bad would it cause it not to start? I don't think I have water in my diesel but I'll check the hose from the injection pump. Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 1500D starting #4  
If the glow plug goes bad would it cause it not to start? I don't think I have water in my diesel but I'll check the hose from the injection pump. Thank you.

Another fuel related issues is air bubbles in the fuel. Old fuel lines could easily be contributing to this. I have seen old lines not leak fuel but allow to enter the system.
Is your starter spinning the engine fast enough?
Does the motor seem to have good compression as it spins?
I assume it is the typical thermostat system in yours. This system burns a small amount of fuel to preheat the air going into the engine. So typically with enough heat build up from cranking unless extremely cold it will start. What have your morning temps been?

/ Yanmar 1500D starting #5  
These don't have glow plugs, rather a Thermostart component that looks like as spark plug screwed into the intake manifold. TS is an option for cold weather, its not essential. You can check it: Twist the key left for 20 seconds. The manifold near it should feel warm. If the little reservoir above it was filled, you should hear a pop as fuel dribbled down from the reservoir to the TS heating element bursts into flame.

Compression, fuel, air. That's all a diesel needs to start when cranked. One of those isn't working.

1) Absence of Air is unlikely. 2) Compression: Does it spin faster and more easily with compression released? If no difference, then likely a lack of compression. 3) That leaves fuel - out of fuel, or air or water in the fuel.

Did you bleed the fuel system? On the fuel filter, open the bleed screw nearest the fuel tank. After no more air, close it and repeat at the downstream screw. Then the one down on the fuel pump. No need to open a high pressure line beyond the pump.