Yanmar FX28D 4WD Problem

/ Yanmar FX28D 4WD Problem #1  

FX28D

I bought a FX28D & was suspicious that the 4WD would not engage. I lifted the front end of the tractor up with the loader and engagaed the 4WD. As the tractor moved forward or backward, the front wheels did not move. I checked the linkage at the transmission and the lever appears to moving the linkage in the tranny. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

/ Yanmar FX28D 4WD Problem #2  
Welcome to TBN. You will have more response to you question and problem if you post it on the Yanmar forum, it is further down on the main page which lists forums. It is a very active forum with many very informed dealers and users. I personally am not familiar with the F series and probably cannot really help you.

Something is either not engaging or is broken. Is there a cover over the driveshaft for the front axle? I would remove the clamps or what ever and slide the cover back or forward so that I could see the shaft itself. Then by rotating the front wheels by hand you should be able to see the shaft turn. (Make sure that you have either stopped the opposite wheel from turning in the opposite direction through the differential.) With the lever engaged in AWD you should not be able to turn the shaft through the wheels and with it disengaged you should be able to see the shaft turn.

I have heard of some unscrupulous dealers and individuals who actually remove the shaft because there is a problem in the drive.

Mike

/ Yanmar FX28D 4WD Problem #3  
I have a FX28D and I just had a 4WD problem with the front drive shaft. Check your front drive shaft, pay special attention to the couplers at the front and rear.

My transmission output shaft was stripped at the extreme front end of the shaft and I was able to repair it with no purchased parts. If that turns out to be your problem, maybe I can help you.

These aren't u-joints, they're just ball bearing couplers. They transmit power from a splined shaft to the coupler ring on the drive shaft, and back to another splined shaft on the front differential using ball bearings to bridge the gap between the splined shaft and the coupler rings. These balls never slide on the shafts, they run in one spot and eventually they'll strip the splines off that spot.

I was able to fix mine and if that's your problem, I can show you how to fix yours.

As has already been said, you may not have a front drive shaft because somebody has already removed it. There's also a possible work-around for that but it's not pretty or cheap.

If you have a front loader, you may have to remove the loader to completely remove the drive shaft cover.