Yanmar or Bota?

/ Yanmar or Bota? #1  

teach

Silver Member
I have a dilema. I currently own (I have had since last July) a 1983, Kubota B7100 manual shift, 16hsp, 4x4, 2000 hours, in good shape, runs great. I use the following implements; york rake, scraper blade, rear dirt scoop, forks (carry-all), 42" brushhog, rear tire chains, and I have, but have never hooked up, a front mounted snowblower (the scraper blade did just fine, even in the "Blizzard of '05"). BUT I don't have a loader or trailer! I found a dealer in Mass., about 2+ hours from where I am in RI, who has a loader for my tractor which will run me about $2,400 installed. BUT he also has a Yanmar, 186(?), 4wd, loader, 18 hsp, 1000 hours, a 9" posthole digger, and trailer for $7,500. I have 6 acres, largely wooded that I am working on clearing out, an upcoming landscaping project this spring (moving/spreading loam, moving stone for wall and a walkway), a 300' steep driveway to plow, and occationally use my tractor to skid trees out of the woods for firewood on some other property that I maintain. I have a Bota' dealer just up the road, but I don't know about a Yanmar dealer/mechanic, nor do I know much about Yanmars. Do I just buy the loader for Bota' or...do I buy the Yanmar?
HELP!
Teach

/ Yanmar or Bota? #2  
teach -

I'm not an expert on either Yanmar or 'Bota (just clocked 100 hrs on my B7610) - but if you're happy with your 'Bota - here's what I'd do:

- buy the FEL for $2400
- buy a trailer for another $2000 or so
then
- buy a nice wide screen tv for @ $1500
- take a $1500 vacation

- whatever! - $7500 vs $2400 (+ something for a trailer) doesn't seem too tough a decision! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unless your 'Bota is underpowered for your needs - it sounds like you have almost all the attachments you could ever want (or buy a PHD if you don't need the big tv /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) - so unless you are worried about the longevity of the 'Bota (2000 hrs vs. Yanmars' 1000 hrs) - I'd stick with what you have.

(Since the "Blizzrd of '05" was light & fluffy up where I live on the NH border - I just used my FEL. But folks who have posted pics of snowblowers - especially the front mount ones - have put one on my "wish list" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think "pushing" heavy, wet snow won't be much fun...)

I'm sure someone will recommend forking over the $7,500 - so then you'll have 2 tractors and a trailer! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Happy tractoring either way!

Cheers,

Dan

/ Yanmar or Bota?
Thanks for the advice! THe Mrs. would just love the part about the widescreen! I would sell the Bota' (could get somewhere between $4000-$5000 depending on which implements I let go, I would probably let the snowblower go). So the difference in price between selling my Bota and buying the Yanmar with that money plus some more and buying a loader for mine is less than a $1000. Actually this Yanmar is probably somewhere near you. I may go see it tomorrow.
teach

/ Yanmar or Bota? #4  
If you are happy with your Kubota and it'll meet your needs for the forseeable future, I think I'd get the new FEL for it. You know your tractor but very little re the Yamar. ONE reason people seel things is that they are giving problems. You could probably rent a trailer to get yr Bota back and forth to the dealer. Good Luck.

Natty B.

/ Yanmar or Bota? #5  
The only way I would consider the Yanmar over the Kubota is if it has power steering, you will need this with a loader, and there are not enough differences in them otherwise that would make me want to spend the money to trade. JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Yanmar or Bota? #6  
Have you looked on ebay for a loader? We sold one for your tractor on there about a year ago for $900.
Never know what you might find on ebay.

KO

/ Yanmar or Bota? #7  
Between your known used Kubota and the unknown Yamar, I'd stick with the kubota. Hour meters can lie.

Moon of Ohio