Yanmar seat springs

/ Yanmar seat springs #1  

roger_scotty

Gold Member
Tractor
165D,336D,JD_530
Looking through some old technical manuals I saw where they recommended that an extra seat spring be installed if needed. Now I'm a fairly big person at six foot and 190# and big bumps make my seat springs bottom out..... so I ran out to the tractor to have a look. Sure enough! There is a place all threaded and ready to go for a third spring. Bless those tricky Yanmar engineers. I think I'll order those parts. That ought to really test the availability of oddball Yanmar parts. This is the sort of non-critical part that I expect to take a few weeks to arrive.
Has anyone already tried this?

/ Yanmar seat springs #3  
TryChevy valve springs. I take the rubber bumpers off and braze a washer on the bottom of a Chevy vavle spring. Makes for a much better ride.

/ Yanmar seat springs
TWINKIES!! Brett, that's all muscle.... Or at least it used to be.....or maybe I'm just dreaming. OK, OK, I'll confess that even though I weigh the same at 55 as I did at 18, the overall distribution and shape has changed a wee bit.
That's NOT why I'm interested in the extra spring, Brett....I think that my old Yanmar springs have sagged some.
Hmmm....that didn't sound quite right either....

I priced the extra Yanmar seat spring with the official rubber and plastic mounting dealies and all of a sudden brazing up a Chevy valve spring and washer is starting to have real appeal. But then the seat springs wouldn't be chrome....Aaarrgh, these agonizing decisions...

/ Yanmar seat springs #6  
Hi Roger,
I also used chevy valve springs but centered a rod that pushes down through the holding bracket. Works great.

/ Yanmar seat springs #7  
My YM seat had begun to sag, found cracks at mounts. A friend of mine gave me a great used seat off an old Allis Chambers, with flip up arm rests, very comfy, mounted right up. Heard used Allis Chambers parts are really cheap.