Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT!

/ Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT! #21  
I would have to agree with Dargo. That welding job looks terrible. I would be real careful about lifing anything heavy or important with those globby looking welds. Otherwise, great looking rig!

/ Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT!
Ouch!.........ok, ok....the welds look bad, the hooks are the wrong type. But I'm keeping her nonetheless:) I feel like I just married Cindy Crawford and now someone wants to complain that she has thick ankles:p

If you read my To-Do list, I wanted to learn to weld.........so now I have a reason to learn and a first project to tackle....and evidently I couldn't screw it up any worse. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade - right?

On second thought....Should I just post the name of my JD dealer who did the welding, and maybe they'll offer to redo it out of embarassment / guilt? - if they happen to be monitoring this board.

/ Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT! #24  
Champy said:
On second thought....Should I just post the name of my JD dealer who did the welding, and maybe they'll offer to redo it out of embarassment / guilt? - if they happen to be monitoring this board.

You won't even have to do that. I'd simply show your dealer the hooks and ask, "What's wrong with this picture?". I'm certain that 99 out of 100 people will notice the botched, and wrong, job on a beautiful high quality tractor. It's like looking at a beautiful woman who had plastic surgery; by an apprentice seamstress, not surgeon, and they put Karl Maldon's nose on Cindy Crawford. Not only is the nose completely wrong, but it was applied by someone totally unqualified to do the job. If a blind man on a fast horse can see it, I'm sure your dealer can. I seriously doubt that it's something he wants to be known for. That's going to stick out like a sore thumb painted day-glo orange to everyone who sees your brand new tractor. Whoever did that needs to be in a different occupation!

Sorry, but you have far too nice of a tractor for that botch job. That hook job wouldn't be acceptable on the cheapest junker tractor. Here is a tractor that that would look appropriate on A tractor for Rs 99,000! (that translates out to be just over $2100 U.S. dollars for a brand new tractor)

On second thought, no, it wouldn't even be acceptable on that tractor! I'm sure the owner of your JD dealership would agree.

/ Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT! #25  
With those types of hooks on your bucket you got an accident waiting to happen. When that accident does happy and someone is injured they might own your home and everything else that you have. I just replace some for my neighbor on his Kubtoa 30 HP that he broke. He brought a new hook with him but I refused to use it and instead put on a weld-on hook like Drago posted. Also having been a professional welder fo 30+ years, those welds are not good.

/ Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT! #26  
Champy, nice looking Deere you have there. I have a question about the bucket pin, for you and the rest of the owners with this type loader. Do they all have 5' long pins? Seems like 2 6" pins, one on each side would be sufficient. Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture here. Wonder what a pin like that will cost from JD?

Attachments

• Bucket pin.pdf
    364.4 KB · Views: 232
Dargo & others -

when I (or the Dealer) welds on the new hooks, should they be placed on the flat top of the HD bucket itself - or on the mounting bracket? In the one attached picture I uploaded (#79) they welded the current hooks onto both, but Weld on hooks require a flat surface.

Also - recommendations regarding 5/16" or 3/8" hooks? Grade 30 vs 70?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00479.JPG
    DSC00479.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 200
   / Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT! #28  
Beautiful tractor! Makes me want to go get on mine, but I'm working too much overtime right now! Congratulations!

/ Ye-ha! I finally ordered my new CUT! #29  
"Dargo & others -

when I (or the Dealer) welds on the new hooks, should they be placed on the flat top of the HD bucket itself - or on the mounting bracket? In the one attached picture I uploaded (#79) they welded the current hooks onto both, but Weld on hooks require a flat surface.

Also - recommendations regarding 5/16" or 3/8" hooks? Grade 30 vs 70?"

Hi:
To answer your questions:
1) Get the highest rated chain hook.
2) Weld the hooks on the brackets not the bucket.
3) You didn’t ask this but don’t weld one in the middle of the bucket.

I always get the strongest chain or chain hooks that I can find. I have welded several onto my FEL and Back hoe Bucket. As you can see by the picture I got a little hook happy. I started with the two ½” weld on grab hooks on the Quick couple brackets but I found that when I lifted rocks that were too big to fit into the bucket I needed the load to be centered. To get the load centered I hooked a short chain between the hooks on the Quick couple brackets and then hooked another chain to the center of the short chain. This worked well but it was cumbersome. I thought that if I had a chain hook in the center it would be easier and it was except that the really heavy loads flexed the bucket in the middle, also the center hooks get in the way of the grapple thumb that I want to add. I used a 3/8” chain hook in the center so that I could use either 3/8” or 5/16” chain. I later added the slip ½” hook in the center as well. If you will look at the slip hook you will see that it once was a pin type hook. I cut the holes off at an angle with the chop saw to give a better welding surface.

Attachments

• FEL hooks.jpg
    FEL hooks.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 161