Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post.

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
I got me a GC1710, and the dude I bought it from also threw in a backhoe dolly he fabbed up based on the bxpanded dolly. The thing is, it doesn't function like the bxpanded dolly. Namely, it's not as simple as setting the bucket down by extending boom, pins come out, retract boom and voila!...backhoe drops into the dolly. Example, like in this video.

Nope, with my dolly, you set the bucket down on the dolly, drop the outriggers, pull away on the tractor, and finally drop the backhoe onto the back end of dolly by retracting the outriggers. I'm not a fan of this setup, I want how it's in the video, coz that's awesome!

I was talking to the previous owner the other day, told him I'm aiming to modify that dolly he made so that it would function like the bxpanded dolly, but he thinks that's not possible because of the way massey's backhoe attaches to the tractor as opposed to how kubota's backhoe does, and massey's backhoe just can't be made to drop off into a dolly like that. But I'm thinking it can, it's just a matter of building up a higher area on the dolly that the backhoe would pivot over as you're retracting the boom, so it would roll off the hooks fully, dropping into the dolly.

However, I can't find any videos or message board posts of somebody building a dolly like that for the GC1710/20.

If anybody did, come forth and testify!

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #2  
So from a physics standpoint I see 2 things.

1) the angled wedges on the dolly act as a pivot point so that when he retracts the backhoe toward the dolly it rolls out of the bottom stirrups on those angled pieces. Tractor side hooks are also shallower and machined to create a softer pivot edge vs Massey's mounting plate.

2) the hose connections on the tractor are accessible with the backhoe and machine close together where as the MF are not (access on top vs hoses out the bottom)

Am I saying it's impossible? No. I'm saying that it won't be as easy as kubotas without some modifications to both ends. Move hoses on tractor and backhoe to a more accessible place, modify the stirrups on the Massey to make it easier to "roll out" of the mounting plates.

Pitfalls of the bxpanded/Kubota design. You must be on a flat plane for that dolly to work and you can never modify tire size or otherwise lift you machine for clearance purposes as it would render the dolly useless by that process.

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post.
Yeh, I did notice the wedges on the bxpanded dolly. I was thinking to add 2x2 square steel tubing around there on my dolly to function as the pivot point. Or maybe round steel tubing, I got spare stock of either.

I tried using the back end of the dolly as the pivot point with the dolly as is. The backhoe almost dropped in, but retracting the boom to its limit still did not pivot it fully out of the bottom stirrups. So I'm thinking if the dolly was just a little taller, having a pivot to work off of, it would work.

But, I can't help but think that I'm missing something though...stands to reason somebody would have built this by now if it's possible with the GC. Or maybe somebody just gotta build it first *points to self*.

The hoses seemed fine, there was still some slack there when I was messing with all that.

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #4  
Your hoses may be a bit different than mine. I cant reach mine until I get the hoe away from the tractor as mine are fed underneath from MF. The pivots should be parallel to the top of the bottom stirrups to create a stopping point for the dolly and a transitional plane to roll the backhoe onto the dolly.

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #5  
You can get what i consider a simpler solution with the MF. I have a 2310.
My dolly slides under the backhoe, the outriggers are lowered for safety only (not all the way to the ground), lower the bucket onto the dolly, tip the BH onto the dolly, raise the outriggers, disconnect the hydraulics.

It is a little more work than the Kubota, but not too bad.

I watched a ton of videos to understand the mechanics. This one was very good.

Massey Ferguson GC2410 backhoe dolly. - YouTube

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #6  
He makes it look easy with that dolly.

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post.
You can get what i consider a simpler solution with the MF. I have a 2310.
My dolly slides under the backhoe, the outriggers are lowered for safety only (not all the way to the ground), lower the bucket onto the dolly, tip the BH onto the dolly, raise the outriggers, disconnect the hydraulics.

It is a little more work than the Kubota, but not too bad.

I watched a ton of videos to understand the mechanics. This one was very good.

Massey Ferguson GC2410 backhoe dolly. - YouTube

I did see that video before, and also this one with gc2310. Is there one of your build? Would love to see it.

Looks like my thinking to built up the back end of the dolly as the pivot point is definitely the way to go.

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #8  
If there's a way to create a stopping point so you lined it up perfect every time that'd be huge

/ Yes, this is yet another backhoe dolly post. #9  
For me it aligns pretty square first shot. You get a feel for it very quickly.