Yet another building on fill thread

/ Yet another building on fill thread #21  
Well put cord. Here is an excerpt from a compactor selection link that I found as well.

Contractors use a number of different types of soil and aggregate compactors these days. Common types include: sheepsfoot rollers, which run static and are typically towed; pneumatic-tired rollers, which use rubber tires to provide the familiar kneading action of soil or subgrade; vibratory rollers (smooth drum), typically used for granular and mixed soil materials; and tamping foot, which combines the advantages of a vibratory roller with a sheepsfoot.

The sheepsfoot roller is most effective for compaction of plastic soils like clay or silt, according to Bomag Americas, a leading roller manufacturer. The sheepsfoot compacts from the bottom of each lift towards the top. High contact pressures cause the feet to penetrate through the loose material and actually compact the material directly with the foot tip.

A number of passes are required with a sheepsfoot roller because of the small area compacted by each foot. Self-propelled embankment compactors, such as the Bomag BC462EB and the BC772EB, are capable of higher productivity than towed sheepsfoot rollers because they can travel at higher speeds. And while the teeth differ slightly in design from a sheepsfoot, the Bomag embankment compactors achieve compaction the same way.

Pneumatic-tired rollers generally compact from the top of the lift downward. The relationship between the tire contact area and the ground contact pressure causes a kneading action, which helps seek out soft spots that may exist. Light- to medium-weight self-propelled units are used primarily for compaction of granular base as well as hot mix asphalt.

Vibratory rollers work on the principle of particle rearrangement resulting from dynamic forces generated by the vibrating drum hitting the ground. As particles in the soil rearrange themselves, voids between particles become smaller, causing an increase in material density. The best vibratory application is the compaction of granular and mixed soils.

A tamping foot roller has feet, or pads, that penetrate the soil, compacting from the bottom to the top for uniform density. The forces of gravity and vibratory impact simultaneously compact from the top down. Due to the foot shape, and in combination with vibration, these rollers achieve a kneading and impact effect while the imprints left contribute to a reduction of water content.

It is often recommended, says Bomag, that a vibratory smooth-drum roller be used on materials having up to 10% cohesive content. A tamping foot, or padfoot roller can compact soils having as much as 50% cohesive content.

How to Select a Soil Roller - Forester Network

/ Yet another building on fill thread #22  
A couple of freeze thaw cycles will not be sufficient to settle poorly compacted material. You have two choices to do the job right:

1. Build the foundation walls and then bring in crushed stone and use it to backfill the hole. This material should be consistent in size (3/4 to 1-1/4) and could be compacted in 12" lifts with a walk behind compactor.

I worked in a factory that installed a 2000 ton press with in a 30' pit for a foundation. The factory engineers made the excavating company do just like you mentioned here except 18" because of all the vibration. The contractors squawked about it because in their mind clear stone wouldn't need compacting hardly at all, but did it anyway. I put 6-7' of clear stone fill in my garage and tamped it on top only. It never settled or cracked in 10 years but I just drove a car and pickups on it. It was more expensive than dirt, but I did it anyway.