YM 2500 total rehad...need electrical help pls!

/ YM 2500 total rehad...need electrical help pls! #1  

Tom_Stewart

Tractor
Yanmar YM 2500
This project is going extremely well with the exception of this problem:

Had to buy a new key switch...didn't match the original exactly and did not come with a diagram, but it did match exactly what is in my manual. The manual that I got for the YM 2500 is the manual for a YM 330.

I removed the wires from the old switch one at a time and connected to new switch as follows:

Starter to C terminal
Battery to B terminal or what I think is the right connection...actually this wire show continuity to one of the wires on a post on the starter cylinoid (sp?)
Fuse block hot wire to BR
I have two other wires that I connected to R1 and R2....don't know exactly where they go to....wires disappear into the harness tape.

One problem is the dummy lights do not come on when the key is on...I diagnosed all of the lights and they all checked out fine...The oil pressure sensor, temp sensor and alternator are new...again all diagnosed ok per manuals instructions.

The other problem is the fuse block is not hot.

The other problem is that when I try to test the key switch with a tester and turn the key to the on or start position, none of the posts on the back of the switch show continuity........

This is probably something simple, but I'm not very good with electrical issues....

I know that I could bypass all of this harness, get some aftermarket guages, wire up new light switches and so forth, but really I would like to keep the tractor original.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
TS

/ YM 2500 total rehad...need electrical help pls! #2  
I would remove the ignition switch and establish your wiring before experimenting any further. Determine what your unknown wires are using a multi-meter. Once you know what is what, you can add the switch using the schematic. If no schematic, generally a switch should drive glow plugs at the left, solenoid to the right and your fuse block should be live when the key is in the intermediate position.

Your unknown wires may be traced back to your regulator or something else you don't want to compromise. Just switching wires around and experimenting could result in a dead short, damage to your diodes or starter.

My suggestion is to slow down a bit and make sure you get a handle on what is what before proceeding. Good luck.

/ YM 2500 total rehad...need electrical help pls! #3  
I changed mine out too, and IIRC the center post is the "hot" post from the batt, then using your continuity testor or a test light, find the others accordingly.