YM240D Pops out of gear

/ YM240D Pops out of gear #1  

haze5736

Tractor
Mahindra Max26 XLT
My 240D pops out of the 4th gear in high range. It does not pop out in low range. I am curious if this is something that will require splitting the tractor to address. Or are there things I can look at as a start that don't require splitting the tractor?

/ YM240D Pops out of gear #2  
Seems it is usually the range shifter that jumps out. Am I understanding correctly that yours is the gear shift and not range shift?

/ YM240D Pops out of gear
Seems it is usually the range shifter that jumps out. Am I understanding correctly that yours is the gear shift and not range shift?
Correct. It is the gear shift that pops out.

/ YM240D Pops out of gear #4  
I feel like the dunce in the class. I know there has to be a forth gear some way or another, but, where is it??

Attachments

• 2022-07-19-070351.jpg
    2022-07-19-070351.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
   / YM240D Pops out of gear
Sorry, I'm new to tractors and described it as if I were driving a manual car. It is the 5-8 gear circled in the photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-085221~2.png
    Screenshot_20220719-085221~2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
   / YM240D Pops out of gear #6  
Sorry, I'm new to tractors and described it as if I were driving a manual car. It is the 5-8 gear circled in the photo.
Ah, its setup much like the Yanmar made John Deeres. There is a HIGH-LOW toggle lever at the right foot on the tractor.

So, with the HIGH/LOW set to low, the 5th works fine? When the HIGH/LOW is set to high, the 8th pops out of gear?

I'm just trying grasp if its a weak spring holding the HIGH position on the toggle lever inside. Just a random guess really. It could also be a friction disc or something to keep the HIGH from slipping out.

/ YM240D Pops out of gear #7  
Ah, its setup much like the Yanmar made John Deeres. There is a HIGH-LOW toggle lever at the right foot on the tractor.
SNIP...
There were 5 or 8 years during the 1970s into the early 1980s when Yanmar was sold in the USA and John Deere didn't yet have a compact tractors model line to sell. JD was big acreage ag machinery and Yanmar was oriented toward small hillside family farms in Japan.

That was followed by a period of about 3 to 5 years(?) in the early to mid 1980s when Yanmar was supplying the new candy apple red Yanmars with power shift and power steering along with their own brand of FEL and 3pt gear to their USA dealer. And atthe same time, Yanmar was building replicas of their older tractors for John Deere as the 650,750,850,& 950 series of compacts. These JD x50 series compacts were were basically the earlier model lime-green manual steering & manual shift dual range models that Yanmars dealers had sold when they first entered the USA iback 10 years ago n the mid 1970s.. Confused yet? So were we all.

Ultimately John Deere's deal with Yanmar required Yanmar to not sell in the US for some years. That expired, and they are back now. But not with nearly the level of support and committment here that they once had.

Bottom line is the first JD compact 4wds - the x50 series that came out in the throughout the 1980s - were very similar in features to the old style Yanmars of the 1970s.

rScotty