Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,641  
Rusty, do you have a system/SOP for turning the unit off to do inspections, like check the oil level?

does your unit have any issues with wet stacking under very light load?
It's sure getting a good workout, probably best thing for that diesel.
It was born to work.

and I am curious, under normal load after being on for a while, what temp is your oil or coolant?

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,642  
I'm going to switch to that little "dog house" 6500w Kubota that I put together a few years ago just to run it. I keep thinking about selling it but I just don't really want to part with it.
Wet stacking is and has been a concern for the 20kw is oversized, I just haven't seen anything in the exhaust system or elsewhere.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,644  
I'd give that gen a pat on the head (y)
since diesel loses performance after three years, you want to burn up some
of that fuel anyway.
I had a 250 gallon diesel tank on my NC farm and I ran out every March.
So I always had fresh fuel. Plus I had a 500 gal propane tank for Generac.

fuel storage is an issue for you, which is where propane shines.
I'm not sure if it's just loss of cetane or why diesel fuel goes bad, not a chemist, but
that seems to be the only concern for your setup. Then again, some diesel engines "burn anything" and that
may be your case.

not sure you can just keep dosing stale fuel with Stanadyne or other conditioners. Maybe you can for a long time.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,645  
I definitely have the fuels "health" constantly lingering in my thoughts. I treat with a biocide and the normal anti gell, certain boosters. So far, so good. I am (strangely) eager to refill with fresh fuel.
At the end of this last run I heard a odd noise that seems to be the frequency and sound of a belt. The only one is the fan/alternator. I'll get that replaced and verify.
Early on with this unit water appeared under the fan/water pump. Just a little bit that stopped on its own. Being optimistic I hoped that it was a dry seal. Someone along this journey told me that the Cummins generators had proprietary (expensive) parts that only were available from a dealership. I haven't researched this or the price yet but I'm going to.
With all the guarding, even a simple belt replacement gives a modern car equivalency in terms of convenience. 😆
I bought this unit with 1060hrs. now it's got 1365.1.
20240408_134617.jpg

20240408_134556.jpg

The little "dog house" project that I finished up the last outage with. Just to stretch its legs.
20240407_140048.jpg

20240407_140119.jpg

6500w little Kubota diesel a little bit short on juice I think, and the 20k is a little big but it seems without consequence. At least that's what I'm going with. 😆

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,646  
Good to hear your grid is back Rusty, and even a bit early...... (I'd sandbag the estimate too, if I was the one issuing it :cool:)

Thanks for the after-action report (I think you still will be posting consumption data later....), AND the pics....we always like those !

Can't remember if I've seen the doghouse before... it's cute as H E double hockey-sticks ! Now, all the other little gens that hang-out here are going to be jealous !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,647  
we had an outage last week for 2+ days, ran my 2 inverter suitcases for about 28 hours, used a little over 4 gallons, which I was really happy with. At 6am on the 3rd day I was pulling out the large genny, but decided to check the utility voltage, and it was back on, so I was glad I didn't need to pull it out. going to go change the oil for the next 3 year outage.

outside of the well and water heater, the 2 suitcase 1800w units actually power everything we use.(outside of heat)

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,648  
Rusty, Given that your outage is probably the longest and hottest your generator has run in its life, I'd seriously consider replacing the oil filter and maybe do an oil change too. Cheap insurance for a very valuable asset (I'd argue that to you, it's worth a lot more than you paid for it)

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,649  
we had an outage last week for 2+ days, ran my 2 inverter suitcases for about 28 hours, used a little over 4 gallons, which I was really happy with. At 6am on the 3rd day I was pulling out the large genny, but decided to check the utility voltage, and it was back on, so I was glad I didn't need to pull it out. going to go change the oil for the next 3 year outage.

outside of the well and water heater, the 2 suitcase 1800w units actually power everything we use.(outside of heat)
Always a great option... to have the right tool(s) @ hand, for the job !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,650  
Always a great option... to have the right tool(s) @ hand, for the job !

Rgds, D.
yea, we are pretty much set in generator arena, not in love with the aux heating during that period, but outages are rare here anymore, so I don't plan to invest more.