ZD 331 weight kit install

/ ZD 331 weight kit install #1  

IC Smoke

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400, ZD28, BX24
ZD331 72" deck with optional weight kit K3181-01100

My issue is the ZD28 is excellent in having weight on the rear tires to turn or maneuver on hills, but the ZD331 just seemed to light and was tough to manage on slopes, or turning without "spinning out"

The instructions are not very good at all!

I removed the hood but its not necessary
1: remove lower bolt on air cleaner bracket

2: Remove 2 bolts with backing plate

3: Install bracket with new hardware:

4: Install new lower bracket bolt (air cleaner bracket bolt removed prior)

Make sure you leave your bolts loose so that you can manuver the backet, In the photo you can see the bolt that holds the weights doesnt line up at the moment. I moved the bracket until the bolt lined up and screwed in. I then tightened up the mounting bolts and removed the suitcase bolt & sleeves

5:

6: Then install suitcase weights, and your bolt with the 2 sleeves that keep the weights in place As well as the bolt and nut to keep the weights from sliding.

Repeat on left hand side (minus removing bolt for air cleaner bracket)

This took about a hour but should only really take about a half hour! I was a bit disappointed that the weights didn't say Kubota or were Orange..

Last edited:
   / ZD 331 weight kit install #2  
Okay you have the weights on now, what do they do for you? I have a zd326p, what benefit would they be for me?

Thanks in advance

/ ZD 331 weight kit install
Okay you have the weights on now, what do they do for you? I have a zd326p, what benefit would they be for me?

Thanks in advance

I have a issue with turning and the tires breaking loose, but the big issue is turning on a slope and then spinning out. This adds 100lbs to the footprint and helps turn. I mowed yesterday and its a HUGE improvement!!! well worth the cost! You can still intentionally spin out but being cautious and the weight helps avoid this.

Ian

/ ZD 331 weight kit install #4  
I also have a ZD326P, I'm interested in installing rear weights also, did you think of having the rear tires loaded? Just seems adding 100lbs to the rear will lighten the front. I have all my rear tires loaded on the tractors and that makes a huge difference. I called local dealer weight kit with four weights runs $310.00 but I was told it states in the parts manual that a mower shield must be used, parts man had no idea what that meant.