How to remove rear tire?

/ How to remove rear tire? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Finally got the Rhino working and what happens but I get a flat while cutting... on the rear (loaded) at that :mad:

This tire is kind of different to me, as it has the 2 bolts each side holding wheel onto axel BUT it's got the gazillion bolts holding the rim onto the dish.

My question is, is it better for me to remove wheel off the axel (as I'm planning) or for this kind of tire, is it easier to undo all those outer bolts and take the rim off the center dish??

Tractor is current on jacks & the wife is at the store finding me a 1 1/4" socket. Seems I have a 1 1/8 and 1 1/2. I just happen to be missing the 1 1/4" size.

Appreciate any thoughts on best way to remove tire. We're taking it to Co-op on Monday to be fixed.

Attachments

• Tire.JPG
    Tire.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 485
   / How to remove rear tire? #2  
What size tire? (Looks like 34" or 38" IH wheel)

Do you have a way to handle all that weight? That thing is gonna weigh a BUNCH. Maybe as much as 500 to 750# with fluid and WITHOUT that cast center. (Which probably weighs another 300 to 500#)

Remove the wheel from the center. (Outer bolts) Otherwise you have a great bit of additional weight. Also, those wedge-locks and straight axles can be a real bear to move in and out, not to mention the big fun getting them back on the axle.

Your tire guy will just about kiss you for leaving that cast disc at home. (Or at least he won't smack you for making him handle all that extra weight)

Have you checked in to having a mobile tire service handle the repair? I do my tire repairs with the rim still attached to the tractor. Faster, easier in the long run, unless you have a way to tote that sucker around.

/ How to remove rear tire? #3  
Even if he unbolts the rim from center disk, will it still come off ?

Picture shows rim on tractor side of disk.

/ How to remove rear tire? #4  
If you have a tire service with field techs i would call for a price to have them fix it where it sets. We have one around here and i had the bring my fluid and fill the tires on my tractor right in my driveway. Maybe a $80.00 service run but it may be worth it.

/ How to remove rear tire? #5  
You'll probably be able to slide the rim off the disk, but when you are doing it, the weight is so much that it will probably fall over on you. My suggestion is to park the machine near a post, or beam, or overhead timber so that you can chain it up. Slide it along a wall if you don't have these facilities. A friends FEL is best. It will be easy to shift it around when its almost straight up, but if you get a little angle on it, then it will fall over on you and crush you even if its empty. If it's tubless stick a soft plug in it. If tube type, drain the chloride out of it and take it to be fixed. Never do this alone in my experience. The falling crush seems like its a slow motion event. Then its too late.

/ How to remove rear tire?
I admit I hadn't thought of the tire service people. As for tools at hand, I DO have Brutus, my full sized industrial backhoe/loader. I was going to use it to hoist tire (chain pre-wrapped around tire) from the axel and then up to the bed of the truck, reversing the process on the way back.

I DO see an issue with this tire that I've not had with the other tractor. With the smaller tractor, the fenders do not cover the entire TOP of the tire and I can get my chain behind the wheel to the axel to lift the tractor up before blocking it up. once up, I've got clean headroom to wrap chain around tire as we work it off axel.

On this tractor, the fender goes over the entire top of the wheel either taking away or greatly curtailing my vertical access with my chain.

Perhaps I will bring up the tire service. I've never known the co-op to do that kind of thing (I've never seen their trucks if they do).

Someone asked how big tire is (Farmwithjunk? sorry, in type mode can't see above)

Anyway, I never measured it but I'd say the tire is right at five feet high from ground to top. Just a guess but a reasonable one as I did happen to eyeball that very thing earlier.

I've muscled my tire for my backhoe around also. Probably not as tall as this one but clearly thicker. It also was not fluid filled as the tractor tire is. I did same thing... take it off, had hoe stabilizers down. used backhoe/chain to hoist to truck, reversed process on way back. I then used stabilizers to raise/lower axel height to match opening of rim. Did both of them single handed and though worked up a sweat, did them in fairly short order.

This one though... that darn fender.....

/ How to remove rear tire? #8  
Richard said:
I admit I hadn't thought of the tire service people. As for tools at hand, I DO have Brutus, my full sized industrial backhoe/loader. I was going to use it to hoist tire (chain pre-wrapped around tire) from the axel and then up to the bed of the truck, reversing the process on the way back.

I DO see an issue with this tire that I've not had with the other tractor. With the smaller tractor, the fenders do not cover the entire TOP of the tire and I can get my chain behind the wheel to the axel to lift the tractor up before blocking it up. once up, I've got clean headroom to wrap chain around tire as we work it off axel.

On this tractor, the fender goes over the entire top of the wheel either taking away or greatly curtailing my vertical access with my chain.

Perhaps I will bring up the tire service. I've never known the co-op to do that kind of thing (I've never seen their trucks if they do).

Someone asked how big tire is (Farmwithjunk? sorry, in type mode can't see above)

Anyway, I never measured it but I'd say the tire is right at five feet high from ground to top. Just a guess but a reasonable one as I did happen to eyeball that very thing earlier.

I've muscled my tire for my backhoe around also. Probably not as tall as this one but clearly thicker. It also was not fluid filled as the tractor tire is. I did same thing... take it off, had hoe stabilizers down. used backhoe/chain to hoist to truck, reversed process on way back. I then used stabilizers to raise/lower axel height to match opening of rim. Did both of them single handed and though worked up a sweat, did them in fairly short order.

This one though... that darn fender.....

What is the damage? Does it just need a plug or a patch to a tube?

I would just pay for the service charge. They can do it all at your place and refill the tire when done.

jb

/ How to remove rear tire? #9  
in type mode can't see above

When replying to a post (in type mode) just scroll down. You can see the replys that way. Sounds crazy, but works for me.

/ How to remove rear tire? #10  
An interesting way of doing it, if you happen to have one sitting around, is a pallet jack. Just slide the pallet jack under the tire(on concrete of course) and lean the tire against it. Probably wouldn't hurt to add a chain or comealong to make sure it stays where you put it. That would get it out from under the fender so you could engage the backhoe into the situation.
Just my thoughts, and if you need a pallet jack, I have an extra.
David from jax