Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member

Default Re: How big a hole can you repair in tire?

With a low speed tractor tire, repairs seem to last longer, not as much stress on the tire as would be on a highway tire. I had a tire with a 3/4" hole in it, so I put a 3/4" bolt through it, ground down corners of the bolt (on the outside), put a big patch on the inside, then a fender washer, then a 1/2 thickness nylon jam nut, then a blowout patch, then a chafer tube, then a regular tube, repair worked for 5 years, then sold the tractor, it was still holding air! Had a hillbilly neighbor that patched a split in a JD B rear tire with 2 pieces of steel with 2 holes drilled through them, 2 bolts held it together for 15 years or more, but you could hear him coming down the road for a couple of miles, pop-pop-clank, pop-pop-clank, etc!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

I once plugged a hole in my own tire on my truck that required 3 plugs. The bolt was over 1/2". The repair last the rest of the life of the tire too. I have plugged many tires as a wrench back in the day, but I wouldn't not do 3 plug repair on a customer's vehicle. Yeah, people are going to say that plugs are not correct, but I have never had or had complaints from plugging tires.

Dan

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L-39

Well, the repair I made to the tire yesterday has held up for one day anyway. I did a fair amount of backhoe work and took the tractor through the woods today without incident. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Jerry Smith
    Lost In Northern Vermont

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12