I keep blowing the same tire on RFM

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #1  

coachrusty

Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
Hello,

The right front tire on my Farm Pro 5' finish mower keep blowing. This did not happen last year but is continually happening this year. I cannot get 10 minutes into my mowing without this tire blowing. I have slimed then tubed then slimed the tube and then replaced the whole rim and tire several times. Short of buying a no flat tire, what should I look for in trying to correct this problem?

The tire is a 4.1x3.5-4. The fork is in good shape and the tire is not rubbing on anything. Your insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rusty

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #2  
coachrusty said:
Hello,

The right front tire on my Farm Pro 5' finish mower keep blowing. This did not happen last year but is continually happening this year. I cannot get 10 minutes into my mowing without this tire blowing. I have slimed then tubed then slimed the tube and then replaced the whole rim and tire several times. Short of buying a no flat tire, what should I look for in trying to correct this problem?

The tire is a 4.1x3.5-4. The fork is in good shape and the tire is not rubbing on anything. Your insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rusty

This is a tough one to answer...
Obviously, there's something going on with that assembly that isn't happening on the other three wheels.
First: is the spindle rotating freely? In other words, is that tire dragging rather then rolling?
Second: When you say the tire is failing, is it just losing air? It is being torn on the sidwall? Is there a burr or sharp edge on the bracket the tire is mounted on that could be doing this?

I just had a spindle that froze up (bad zerk, not enough lube getting in) which caused the tire to dig ruts. This is a solid tire, so it's not going to go flat. But it might have with an airred tire.
So, I suggest you get the mower up on jackstands and look for it rotating freely (not the tire...the vertical spindle the tire pivots about). While it's on those stands, look for any wobble in the axle and sharp edges on the bracket.

Good luck...

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #3  
I too first thought of a bent fork and scuffed/overheated sidewall. Since that's apparently not your issue, lift the mower with the three point hitch. Try to spin that right front around in a circle. Compare how easily it spins to the other three. If it's tight, you may have bent the vertical shaft. If that's not a problem, spin the tire on it's horizontal axle. As above, compare how freely it spins with the other three.

If the horizontal axle bolt is the problem, it's an easy replacement. If the vertical support shaft is the problem, try moving it to another corner of the deck. If it does the same in all three other locations, replace it

//greg//

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #4  
When you say "replaced the rim and tire several times" do you mean you have put on a "new" tire and rim several times or are these originals. The tire could just be weak from running flat and does not seat at the bead well enough. I just replaced a tire that size on a Toro and put a tube in it, so far so good. bcs

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #5  
you might try and keep a closer eye and understand what tractor motion causes it, since it seems so repeatable ...backing up and turning in a particular direction (n.r.), turning sharply in a particular direction ... you might also check the kingpin angle/caster compared with the others ..I would also check the inflation pressure and max it per the psi spec imprinted on the sidewall.

I have trouble occasionally with any/all tires on my BefCo finish mower, most recently the vertical shaft (kingpin?) separated from the fork ...my plan is to foam the tires this winter ...

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #6  
Try an inner tube. I was having flats every 5 minutes on my brush cutter. The side forces were popping the tire off the rim.Put in an inner tube 3 years ago and no problems since.

/ I keep blowing the same tire on RFM #7  
I put solid tires from Homedepot on my rfm I think it was made for a hand dolly, but It was the exact size. No more flats.