tire chain; brand consensus?

/ tire chain; brand consensus? #1  

jklingel

I need good quality tire chains for my skid steer. Is there any kind of consensus on good brands, and/or places to purchase them? I am not able to get much tech info (chain grade, etc) on ones sold locally. Peerless? Quality Chain Co? Tirechains.com? Or, is this another Ford/Chevy thing....? My loader came w/ chains, and I broke a cross link in a few hours. The cross links are 3/8", but the welding on them looks cheesy; I am not confident they are of superior quality, to put it mildly. Thanks. john

/ tire chain; brand consensus?
Thanks. I called them, and the gent told me in 20 yrs he'd never been asked about the grade of the tire chains; he guessed that they were grade 30. I have since been able to secure some grade 70, 3/8" chain (mic'd to 0.400") and end links and have added cross links of this between the original cross links, which mic'd to 0.365". I now have hodge-podge 2-link rear tire chains and will try them as soon as it warms up. I can not imagine breaking this heavier, grade 70 chain, but I dunno about the ride and how two different sizes/styles of chain will work. Life is an experiment sometimes.... j

/ tire chain; brand consensus?
Andy: Thanks. I saw those animals a while ago, and they sure look like wicked-butt chains. I just emailed them to ask about whether or not they recommend them for skid steers, as my tire size is not listed. A couple other companies have steered me away from diamond and H patterns, as they say the skid steers sudden turns put too much stress on those patterns, and to stay w/ ladder styles. We'll see what they say. j