8N front tire repair.

/ 8N front tire repair. #1  

8NLUGNUT

Silver Member
Tractor
Several Fords, four Japanese tractors
I'm tired of mesquite thorns poking holes in my original 8N front tires.

I was told the other day that the cheapest way to cure the problem is to take the tubes out of the tire and mount a tubeless valve on the rim and fill the tire up with the green slim or the like.

What kind of valve is required to do this?

/ 8N front tire repair. #2  
I think the only rear flatproofing would be to foam fill the tires.

going tubless, with a tubless tire and valve-in-rim will require you to have good rims.. and ones made for tubless tires... IMHO.. I'd foam them.. or run car radials AND a tube.. or a heavy boot.. etc..

soundguy

/ 8N front tire repair. #3  
I think they are 6 lug rims? We used to have a pair of old rims (maybe from a VW bug?) with snow tires mounted to them when we used the loader on our 8N in the manure pile. They had SOME floation and possibly more durable then the standard rib tires and of course tubeless.

/ 8N front tire repair. #4  
If you plan to continue rolling over thorns, I would suggest replacement aircraft wheels and tires. You can buy the wheel and tire set for about $100 each, maybe less for an 8N tire. They are advertised in Fastline, and are used on a lot of rotary cutters.

/ 8N front tire repair. #5  
I would think foam is the way to go also. I bought new fronts for my Kubota. They were 9.5x16's R4. Les Schwaub charged $2 a pound per tire. It ended up being about 140 lbs for each tire. Now I don't have to worry about flats out in the woods where I will be using it. It isn't cheap but sure saves the headache. Another one of their selling factors for me is if the tire is worn out then they can Re-cap the tire which would be cheaper than a new one.

/ 8N front tire repair. #6  
Yep.. 8n is 6-bolt small hub. ( standard implement rim.. etc.. )

soundugy

/ 8N front tire repair. #7  
at the time I had my 8n I had the same problem -- I lived 3 hrs from Houston but I made the trip and it was VERY well worth it. If you're close enuff, go to Gensco Tire in Houston and get aircraft tires (with new rims) and never have a problem again. 4300 Old Spanish Trail. 713-741-1090 call 'em if you aren't close enough to visit- maybe they can help by shipping them to ya.

oh yeah -- slime doesn't work for me against mesquite thorns .... if you try that route get the bullet proof stuff from Gemplers.

/ 8N front tire repair. #8  
Nice thing about aircraft tires is they are so thick.. they hold up even when flat ( out of air )...

soundguy

/ 8N front tire repair.
Thanks to all for the input.

I just came from the Gcr Truck Tire shop around the corner here in Austin Tx

and after looking at the rims and tires Dan gave me some valves for free and said,

"knock yourself out, if you can't get them to hold air go buy some new tires and

I'll fill the pair with foam for $100".

It's a beautiful day so I'll get on them and post my report soon.

Thanks again everybody.

/ 8N front tire repair. #10  
good luck.

and post back with pics!

soundguy