Mounting a tire

/ Mounting a tire #1  

Lanse

Bronze Member
I am trying to replace a 15 inch tire off the front of one of my tractors. I got a set of tire irons and removed the first tire, but not i have to figure out how to get the new tube in there inside of the new tire. First time here, any help is appricited

/ Mounting a tire #2  
Lanse said:
I am trying to replace a 15 inch tire off the front of one of my tractors. I got a set of tire irons and removed the first tire, but not i have to figure out how to get the new tube in there inside of the new tire. First time here, any help is appricited
I know this is not what you want to hear, but Ive been there, done that. Take it to a truck/tire place, they have the necessay stuff and know how to do it, should be around $20. I mess about 4 hours, trying to do this and finally took it to a tire place, those sidewalls are pretty tough to deal with on a new tire.
You might try a rachet strap around the tire, but it will take a good one.
Sorry I couldnt be more helpful

/ Mounting a tire #3  
I totally agree that the tire place is the way to go if you value your time and don't like to be aggravated.

The basic theory is to put one sidewall back on the rim. Then remove the valve core from the tube so you don't have any air in the tube. Put the tube inside the tire and get it positioned on the rim. There is a tool that screws on the valve stem to keep it from slipping back in the rim before you can inflate the tube. (The tool is really intended to install tire valves on tubeless tires.) Then put the sidewall back on the rim. Reinstall the valve core. Then inflate the tube.

Where this goes terribly wrong is that you will be trying to pry the tire back in place with your tire irons instead of a tire machine. Then that tube is going to try to move around while you're trying to get the tire on the rim. If the tube gets pinched, it will go flat when you inflate it.

/ Mounting a tire #4  
I used to work at our family service station. Learned how to repair tires with a bead breaker and a couple tire irons. Dad used to let me run the station Sunday afternoons and keep the profits. Most of my profits were in tire repairs. Lots of people taking Sunday afternoon drives in those days and getting flats.

Getting a tire back onto the rim is sometimes tough. We used to hold the tire up flat with the rim on the concrete and slam it into place onto the rim. Don't recall where our feet and all were positioned. That was 50 years ago. Had to slam it onto the rim to "set" it there. Otherwise, it'd want to keep coming loose on the other side from where you're poking with the tire irons, etc.

One guy with big feet came to the station one day and demonstrated how to get the tire back on with his big feet. He got the initial bead in place, pushed the tube in place and then stomped the other bead behind the rim. Impressive.

There's a general purpose tool that you can still buy for tubes and valve stems. It's shaped like an "X" or "+". One point has a little wrench that fits inside the steam and goes over the valve and screws it out. Another point has an easy out (never used that point) for removing broken off stems. Still another point screws onto the valve to keep it from being pulled back through the hole when you're monkeying with the tire rim to get it in place.

Ralph

/ Mounting a tire #5  
The fourth side of that "+" tool is a thread fixer for the valve stem inside threads.

I've got one of them, bought not too long ago. Still was using it on tires on my Gravely. Those little things are almost worse than the bigger 14-16 inchers.

When you get the tire back onto the rims. Air up the tube without a valve stem in it to some degree of pressure. Then let the air out (hold onto the stem or screw that tool back onto it). Then put the stem in and air up the tire. Sometimes, tubes can get wrinkled in the tire and can break at a wrinkle. Been there done that.

As someone pointed out, be careful with those tire irons and where the tube is while you're using the irons to get the tire rim in place. It's very easy to pinch a tube. Then you have to not only buy a tube but have to do it all over again. Been there and done that, too.

See. Unless you do this quite a lot and are really dirt poor, it's better to let those who know how to do it handle the job. They'll pay for any mistakes if they're letting another 16 year old (like I was) do the job.

Ralph

/ Mounting a tire #7  
Put the rim on something firm and clean , a piece of plywood or rubber on the concrete is good . Look at the rim and determine where the "well" in the rim is . The "well" is the deep groove that runs around the rim close to the centre on a safety rim . Make sure the "well" faces up , closest to yourself when laying on the ground . Put some liquid soap and water around the tyre bead and the rim lip . Lay one side of the first tyre bead over the rim lip and make sure the bead sits in the "well" . This will give you a little slack so you can pry the rest of the bead onto the rim . Have your irons at about 10-2 o'clock and take each one a little at a time . For example the iron at 10 o'clock will hold the bead from lifting while you lever the 2 o'clock iron and so forth . Once the first tyre bead is on , you then install the tube , taking note of which side of centre the valve is on and line it up with the rim hole accordingly . Now you must get the other bead on which is the same as the first with the exception of making sure you do'nt pinch the tube with the irons . You must also stand on the sidewall on the side that your starting on to ensure the second bead is in the "well" as you did before to give you some slack . Now that it's on , put about 10psi of air in it and then deflate it again , this step removes any creases that are in the tube . Use a clip on valve chuck and inflate to the correct pressure . Using a clip on chuck is very important as if the tyre comes off the bead while you are holding a push on type you can loose your arm or worse .

/ Mounting a tire #8  
As one that has changed one too many tires I got complacent and reached in to put the chuck on valve to seat bead tirewas laying on shop floor.

I still dont know what happened but the back bead broke and launched tire and rim and broke my hand and it was only a 14" tire I always used a cage on split/rims never though a 14" trailer tire would blow.

I still do them but learning on your one isn't good.
I suggest get some one to help you.
Get what I call a grabber chuck (latches on to valve stem) and a seperate regulator that way you put chuck on with out air and crank regulator up (hand safely out of the way).

tommu56

/ Mounting a tire #9  
Lanse said:

totaly up to you but my reccomedation would be to have a pro do it, seems like the best way to go, but you do as you wish, be careful tho.

/ Mounting a tire #10  
I agree with those who say to have a pro do it unless you have an experienced person show you how to do it. I don't disagree with what others have said, but as one who has done a lot of tire work in the last 52 years, if you don't have a tire changing machine, then you do need two tire irons (or even two really big screwdrivers) to get a tire off the rim, but the handiest tool for putting it back on is a good rubber mallet. A little soapy water around the bead will let it slip on a bit easier, but once you've pushed it on as far as you can by hand, the rubber mallet is the easy way to finish putting it on.