BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY?

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I recently took the right side wheel off my JD950 to sandblast and repaint it. Air filled new tire. When I took of the left side wheel, I quickly noticed that it was liquid filled. As I stabilized the tire (like trying to tackle a Dallas Cowboy lineman) and my heart started again, (I can laugh about it now but it was not funny when it happened) I wondered if I should get the right side tire filled with liquid or if it is ok to have ballast in one tire only? I don't think the previous owner realized that the other was liquid filled when he bought a new tire. The dealer should have told him or does it matter? I know that this is in the "stupid question" arena, but should I have both rear tires liquid filled or does it really matter? I don't currently have a front end loader but I will in the future. Thanks for any help with this.

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #2  
Personally, I'd sure want them both the same, whether filled or unfilled with liquid.

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #3  
I agree with Bird...I'd want them both the same too. Although it's probably a minor thing, you could be putting unequal stresses on your drive train (more inertia on one side (filled) then the other).

I'd recently realized that I had only one tire filled. After pricing having someone come to my home, I decided to fill them at home myself. Hopefully, NAPA will have the valve I ordered in this week sometime

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #4  
Go with Bird on this one. If you happen to go side hill at any time, and the loaded tire is on the downhill side, you'll probably find that the pucker factor point is gonna be alot less than if you were the other way around. Definately a safety issue.

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #5  
roy do you have the napa part number for the fill valve, my local napa can't seem to find it

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #6  
You deffinately want them the same. Un-equal loading will destablize the tractor by moving the center of gravity to one side. This is can be very dangerous especially on side hills. Filled or un-filled they should be the same. The only possible exception I can think of is if you have a heavy side mounted implement like a outrigger mower to make the loading equal.

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #7  
Worse case drain some out of one into the other until they're even. Either way they must be the same.

/ BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #8  
roy do you have the napa part number for the fill valve, my local napa can't seem to find it

Yep, it's <font color=red>PN 90-234 FLUID ADAPTER FOR AIR-LIQUID VALVES cost was $18.00</font color=red> as shown in the picture attached. You'll need a valve core tool (to remove and re-install the valve core (the core is threaded, it screws in and out)) before and after you pump in the liquid). Re-install the valve core, then inflate the tire with air.
I didn't buy the valve core tool...didn't realize I would need it..but they're only a couple bucks. There is one that captures the valve core when it comes off the threads. Some don't, but the core can fly (from the air pressure you're releasing from the tire, so I suggest you buy the tool that does capture the core. May as well pick up a few spare cores while you're at NAPA.

There is another one, <font color=blue>PN 90-235</font color=blue>, that has the valve core removal tool built in. I don't know the price of that one.

Now, I'd e-mailed Bird about removal of the Valve Core and some clarification of this task. I'd like to thank Bird and MarkV for their valued experience and guidance.

Text of Bird's e-mail reply:

Yep, Roy, you do need to remove the valve core. I use a tool that is just
for removing and replacing valve cores, and for pulling tubeless valve stems
into a wheel, but there are also some valve caps that have the little slot
on top that can be used for the same purpose. And, yes, when you get the
proper amount of liquid in, then put the valve core back and air it up to
the desired pressure. I didn't even know they made an air/liquid valve with
a built-in core remover. Personally, I wouldn't have any need for it. You
can buy the tool to remove valve cores pretty cheaply lots of places. And
of course, you add some water, turn it off, use that button to bleed off the
air pressure, add more water, etc. It takes a little time, but not too much
and not much real work to it.

Good luck with it.

Bird

Attachments

• 47-134994-AirLiquidTool.jpg
    47-134994-AirLiquidTool.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 230
   / BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY? #9  
<font color=blue>I'd like to thank Bird and MarkV for their valued experience and guidance.</font color=blue>

Your welcome, sir.

MarkV