Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar?

/ Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar? #1  

kossetx

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC 40 A, AC 5020
My old allis chalmars has turf tires on it. By golly after only 28 years they are in need of changing. :) The rims are in 2 halves with a rubber gasket in between. I took them to 2 different tire shops hoping I wouldn't have to split the rim, but they couldn't take the tire off without doing that. I unbolted the rims and found just this rubber gasket between the 2 halves.

Anyone ever worked on a tire like this? Will they seal back up when bolted together? Should I grease the halves to help seal it? I know I should change the gasket but it looks good and I'm in a fix to get er done. Any help appreciated. Mark

/ Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar? #2  
I've seen rims on the back of batwing hogs that are 2-piece bolt together, as well as samll lawn implement tires that are 2-piece.. however all of those are tube type.

if yours are tube type.. then the gasket being old won't matter.. if they are not tube type.. make sure the gasket IS good ig you are re-using it.. or it will leak...

soundguy

/ Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar? #3  
My Gravely had split rims, no gasket between. Had to use tubes.

Ralph

/ Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar?
Thanks for the responses guys. Mine didn't have tubes and I'm going to avoid using them unless the seals leak when I put them back together.

/ Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar? #5  
Good decision. You have to have the right technique to keep from pinching the tubes. Did it once and learned to modify what I was doing. Without tubes, you'll maybe need some technique to get the bead to seal. One way of helping this is to inflate initially without the valve core in place. Might need to bounce the tire, maybe wrap something around the circumference (be careful when inflating if you have to do with!). A little soapy water or even brake fluid on the tire bead will help it slide into place, too.

If you strike out and need tubes, come back and ask for my technique (if I can remember it all).

Ralph

/ Turf tire 2 piece rims. Anyone familiar? #6  
They make a bead soap that won't hurt the rubber.. or any vegi based soap ( glycerin 0 should work..

As ralph pointed out, a ratchet strap around the tire can help.

soundguy