Tire stem protectors

/ Tire stem protectors #1  

George in Spokane

Silver Member
I'm new to welding and I would like to weld some 2" pieces of pipe on to my tire stems. Can I do this with the tire mounted or do I need to disassemble it? I have a 180 amp wire welder.

Thanks

/ Tire stem protectors #2  
I would take the wheel off, not neceessarily the tire, and weld it while it is laying flat. It doesn't need to welded all the way round, just tacked sufficiently to hold on on. Another thing I would do is cut a slot in the 2" pipe so you can get a chuck on to the tire stem to inflate it. There is nothing worse than having your tire stem so "protected" by the the pipe that you can't get anything on to to it to blow air into the tire. Don't ask me how I know this. It's enbarassing.

/ Tire stem protectors #4  
The local tire shop would not weld mine on with tires mounted. Basically it is due to the heat. Too much risk involved, and they said generally it always ended in a slow leak.

/ Tire stem protectors #5  
At the least, I would break that bead and push it down in the center and hold it with soem wood blocks.

It is all a matter of weighing the benefits too the risk, and the 2 minutes I would spend too do that, would far outweigh the risk of damaging the tire bead with the heat in my opinion.

Good luck however you go.

/ Tire stem protectors #6  
Can weld a threaded nipple on there and add caps too.. still make it where a chuck will go on though..

soundguy

/ Tire stem protectors #7  
I'm new to welding and I would like to weld some 2" pieces of pipe on to my tire stems. Can I do this with the tire mounted or do I need to disassemble it? I have a 180 amp wire welder.
Thanks
Yes, if tubeless. Jack tractor and de-pressure tire. Weld short beads and cool alternately to manage heat buildup on valve and bead. Practice on something of the same thickness 1st.
larry

/ Tire stem protectors #8  
I would also deflate tire however it may be worth while having a slot in the tube where it contacts the rim to allow water to drain, unless you have a screw cap on the pipe