Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member George in Spokane's Avatar

Default Tire stem protectors

I'm new to welding and I would like to weld some 2" pieces of pipe on to my tire stems. Can I do this with the tire mounted or do I need to disassemble it? I have a 180 amp wire welder.

Thanks
    2008 Kioti CK-35 w/ FEL, HST, toothbar, R1, RimGuard, 2" wheel spacers
    1956 Ferguson TO-35

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L4740, B2400 and F2680

Default Re: Tire stem protectors

I would take the wheel off, not neceessarily the tire, and weld it while it is laying flat. It doesn't need to welded all the way round, just tacked sufficiently to hold on on. Another thing I would do is cut a slot in the 2" pipe so you can get a chuck on to the tire stem to inflate it. There is nothing worse than having your tire stem so "protected" by the the pipe that you can't get anything on to to it to blow air into the tire. Don't ask me how I know this. It's enbarassing.

Veteran Member

You can do it with the tyre on but only if it is tubeless as the heat from the weld will ruin the tube in a tube type tyre .

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

The local tire shop would not weld mine on with tires mounted. Basically it is due to the heat. Too much risk involved, and they said generally it always ended in a slow leak.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    NH 1925

At the least, I would break that bead and push it down in the center and hold it with soem wood blocks.

It is all a matter of weighing the benefits too the risk, and the 2 minutes I would spend too do that, would far outweigh the risk of damaging the tire bead with the heat in my opinion.

Good luck however you go.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Can weld a threaded nipple on there and add caps too.. still make it where a chuck will go on though..

soundguy

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by George in Spokane View Post
    I'm new to welding and I would like to weld some 2" pieces of pipe on to my tire stems. Can I do this with the tire mounted or do I need to disassemble it? I have a 180 amp wire welder.
    Thanks
    Yes, if tubeless. Jack tractor and de-pressure tire. Weld short beads and cool alternately to manage heat buildup on valve and bead. Practice on something of the same thickness 1st.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20

I would also deflate tire however it may be worth while having a slot in the tube where it contacts the rim to allow water to drain, unless you have a screw cap on the pipe
    Kioti CK20, FEL, Backhoe, 60" Schulte Snowblower

Veteran Member

With the right inflater Gauge, or an extension( like the auto screw on kind.) you can come into the stem directly.
    similiar to this one.
    Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Personally I like the nipple and cap idea.
    Let us know how it goes..

Silver Member George in Spokane's Avatar

Thanks!
    2008 Kioti CK-35 w/ FEL, HST, toothbar, R1, RimGuard, 2" wheel spacers
    1956 Ferguson TO-35

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast