Slow Tire Leak

/ Slow Tire Leak #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Two weeks ago, I had two small punctures patched on the left front tire of the Big RED Beast. The holes were two inches apart and I am sure caused by nails in some old 2X4s in an old burn pile I spread out and repiled. The problem now is the left rear tire. It leaked down so slow, I didn't realized it until last Friday evening. I inflated the 18 psi rated tire to 22 psi. The next morning it was down to 14. So I removed it and took it to the local tire shop that fixes any size tire. They couldn't find a leak. So I told them to inflate it to 35 psi, which is the tire bead seating psi. When I got it mounted on the BRB, I lowered the psi to 28. Then trailered her 45 miles to a friends house and worked her two days on Ike cleanup. Yesterday morning the tire was down to 16 psi. This morning it is down below the lowest mark on my tire guage....10 psi. I jacked the tire up off the ground with the backhoe and stabizler until I can attend to it tomorrow morning. My question....Should I slime the tire, or take it to a better (chain) tire shop?:confused: The photo shows one more use of a backhoe...loading and unloading your own tire!:cool:
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 9-27-08  Tire replacement the Big RED Beast way.jpg
    9-27-08 Tire replacement the Big RED Beast way.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 267
   / Slow Tire Leak #2  
Slime It! I love that stuff.

/ Slow Tire Leak #3  
Do you have a tank of water you can put it in to find the leak?? I hope the tire place didn't charge you to tell you that you didn't have the leak that you knew you had...I had a slow leak like that on a back tire as well....only mine are filled...it was coming out at the stem...the stem is a two piece thing on those tires (I needed a new "top" one) ...see if you can tighten them, or better yet, take the top stem off and put some hyd hose connector "goop" on the threads and pump it back up...you never know...good luck...you might also check the valve in the stem for leaks as well...sorry if this comes across as too simplisitc...hope you find the leak. BobG in VA

/ Slow Tire Leak #4  
Do you have a pond or a pool somewhere that is big and deep enough to submerge the whole tire ? If so inflate the tire back to 35 PSI and then submerge in the water. the telltale stream of water will now bubble to surface. it doesnt matter how small the leak is , 95 percent time i have been able to find the leak this way. Since this is on a big tractor tire, not sure if it feasable for you. I tried using stream of water from garden hose but it not easy this way. I think you would be better off to actually find the leak and then patch it instead of trying to using slime. The reason is that slime seems to have a 2 year life in the patched tire and i wouldnt want to break down the tire just to remove the old slime and then reassemble and put new slime in again for another 2 years. The slime website says there is a gaurantee for 2 years only ?!

/ Slow Tire Leak #5  
Soapy water in a squirt bottle. Will take some time to go over the whole tire, but you'll find it.

/ Slow Tire Leak #6  
I'm with Bob. I just found a slow leak in my truck tire. I'd had a screw removed a couple of weeks ago and the tire patched, but it was still leaking. I took some 409 and sprayed the valve. The valve core was leaking. I'd check that first because it's real easy to do.

/ Slow Tire Leak #7  
There is a manufacturered liquid called Snoop! for finding slow air leaks that we use in ASME pneumatic testing, but it is kind of pricey. What works just as well is a mixture of water and ivory dishwashing soap. IT doesnt bubble up so bad as stuff like 409 when you spray it on but makes big bubbles that hold a long time before bursting when you have a leak. Windex/409 bubbles burst at t really small size so a slow leak is hard to find. Just mix about a tablespoon to a quart of water and wet it down with the mixture. If it is leaking,you will find it. Dont forget to check the rim and shraeder valve if you dont immediately find a hole in the tire. Not too likely that the rim is cracked, but it can happen.

/ Slow Tire Leak #8  
Soap and water. Do you have a high pressure washer with soap applicator? Dish soap works great. Jack it up, soak it up and spin it around to find the bubbles.

/ Slow Tire Leak #9  
Had a front tire with a slow leak I couldn't find with soapy water either. Slimed it and the other 3, just for good measure and problem solved.

/ Slow Tire Leak
Do you have a tank of water you can put it in to find the leak?? I hope the tire place didn't charge you to tell you that you didn't have the leak that you knew you had...I had a slow leak like that on a back tire as well....only mine are filled...it was coming out at the stem...the stem is a two piece thing on those tires (I needed a new "top" one) ...see if you can tighten them, or better yet, take the top stem off and put some hyd hose connector "goop" on the threads and pump it back up...you never know...good luck...you might also check the valve in the stem for leaks as well...sorry if this comes across as too simplisitc...hope you find the leak. BobG in VA

BobG,
The "low cost" tire shop used soapy water and even checked the valve stem as I watched. But a young "kid" was doing it. It was no charge. I plan on taking it in the morning to Strouhal Tire Center. They are the local big truck tire shop and have replaced tubes in my old Ford 3055.
hugs, Brandi