Tire Chain Pliers

/ Tire Chain Pliers #1  

bandit67

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 B3000 HSDCC 2020 Z251 Zero Turn
Has anyone bought the large 33.5" tire chain pliers from Tirechains.com? Do they really work on 3/8" tire chains?

I got my chains in, and the small pliers I got won't budge the big 3/8" chain for the rear tires. Unfortunately, my rear tires must be way at the bottom of the size range for the chains they sent me, and I have to remove a cross chain.

Spent a couple hours with a sledge hammer and some steel breakers just trying to get one side of a cross chain off. Don't really feel like go through all that 3 more times if those heavy duty pliers will do the trick in 5 minutes. I may hit up the hardware store looking for a cold chisel tomorrow, but wanted to see what folks think about the chain specific pliers.

/ Tire Chain Pliers #2  
I don't know what chain pliers are bandit, but if all you are trying to do is cut 3/8" chain, a cheap bolt cutter will work just fine. I have one (that happens to be about 33.5" long) and it'll cut right though 3/8". Harbor Freight, TSC, Lowes etc. all should have them pretty reasonable. So what exactly is a chain plier?

/ Tire Chain Pliers #5  
I use a small 4.5" rotary grinder with the thin cutting disc. Takes about 5 seconds and control is notable.

/ Tire Chain Pliers
Chain pliers aren't for cutting. They are used on the hooks that connect the cross chains to the perimeter chains to spread the hooks open and to clamp them closed.

These are the pliers I'm referring to: Large Repair Plier

/ Tire Chain Pliers #7  
Has anyone bought the large 33.5" tire chain pliers from Tirechains.com? Do they really work on 3/8" tire chains?

I got my chains in, and the small pliers I got won't budge the big 3/8" chain for the rear tires. Unfortunately, my rear tires must be way at the bottom of the size range for the chains they sent me, and I have to remove a cross chain.

Spent a couple hours with a sledge hammer and some steel breakers just trying to get one side of a cross chain off. Don't really feel like go through all that 3 more times if those heavy duty pliers will do the trick in 5 minutes. I may hit up the hardware store looking for a cold chisel tomorrow, but wanted to see what folks think about the chain specific pliers.

I don't think that tool will cut chain, but you will be able to remove cross chains with it. I don't have that exact tool but mine is very similar & works very well. A caution on the smaller ones they have pictured. They can be knuckle busters. I also have one very similar to them.

/ Tire Chain Pliers #8  
Pretty similar to what I have in shop for my semi truck chains although I think mine are only 24" . Mine will remove or install semi truck size ( must be 3/8" I am guessing ) cross links , Although I have never used them to remove a cross link , only to install . Since if I am removing one , its usually broke , so I just do the 4.5" grinder and cutting disk . Although they do make the part that connects the cross chain to the side rail , so by just cutting that , you would save your cross link . I always carry extra cross links and those connectors in case I need to do a quick fix before I get home .

Fred H.

/ Tire Chain Pliers #9  
Bandit I have used the tire chain pliers you are asking about every year for over a decade. The ones we have work great, and look just like the ones you have in the link. I just hate working on tire chains and that tool makes the job quick and easy. If they have a longer tool, buy it, the leverage makes life easier. Unless you are going to have the tool on the truck the longer the better. Good luck

/ Tire Chain Pliers
Yeah, I think I'll just suck it up and order the 33.5" pliers. Not cheap, but they'll come in handy for as long as I own tractor tire chains. Ordering them through tirechains.com is a lot cheaper than anything I can find locally.