Rubber style tire chains

/ Rubber style tire chains #1  

Michgriz03

Has anyone tried these? ( ASTA Traction, Anti-scratch traction aid ) I saw someone else post the question and no one replied. I just picked up a Massey 1020 and I am planning on plowing snow with it this winter. I think I am going to need chains, but I don't want to mess up my garage floor and approach. The approach is only about 30 feet and my drive way is about another 500 feet. I have plowed with a Yamaha grizzly 660 for five years and I will still use it for light snow. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Kevin

/ Rubber style tire chains #3  
I have a set for my JD 425 with the 2 stage snowblower. I don't use them for my driveway which is flat but one time I went to help my neighbor across the street and and couldn't do a thing with his steep bending driveway. When I put the rubber chains on they made it happen. I'd say they are great if you need them.

Chris

/ Rubber style tire chains #4  
The prices that are listed are very reasonable
Looks like they would last forever used properly and for there intended use
DGS

/ Rubber style tire chains #5  
I think they only go up to pick-up truck sizes.

MANY years ago I got a mustang unstuck from snow/slush by threading rope through the rims to make similar "bars".
It worked for the 50ft or so I needed to get clear, but I don't think rope, or these rubber bars, would do any good on ice.

They don't look to be any deeper than lugs on R4s or Ags, so unless you have turf tires they probably don't add much.

/ Rubber style tire chains #6  
They look useless to me. I have loaded turfs on my 7610 and easily push a 6 1/2 foot meyer plow backwards on my 3pt in snow. I've plowed a 12" drop without chains, no problem even in wet snow. Turfs are great on snow. I do put the chains on all 4 wheels November thru April now anyway as I have a dirt driveway and don't care about my garage floor.
It's a lot nicer to handle metal when it's 40 degrees versus having to put them on when its 10 degrees after an ice storm hits..

Chains become necessary on ice and as I see it, traction comes from the fact that the chain links concentrate tremendous PSI of force downward on (and into) the ice.
The flat rubber doesn't look like it would cut in on ice.

/ Rubber style tire chains #7  
When snow comes to our area the first thing that we do is try to get a solid ice/packed snow base on our driveway. This way we arte not plowing the crushed stone onto the lawn, (or blowing it thru windows with the blower). The type of tire that I've had on our tractors didn't matter, if it didn't have chains, it didn't work work as well as it could. In order to move the snow, you either needed momentum (think 1/2 ton plow truck) or traction. When using a blower, momentum isn't an option.
My son's studded ski-doo track has left a lot more marks on our terrain/concrete/asphalt than my chains ever did...

/ Rubber style tire chains #8  
Chains become necessary on ice and as I see it, traction comes from the fact that the chain links concentrate tremendous PSI of force downward on (and into) the ice.
The flat rubber doesn't look like it would cut in on ice.

My thoughts exactly. I have a steep concrete driveway about 250' long that ends on a well used road with a good bit of traffic. If I lose bite going down in the winter, things are gonna get ugly FAST. I'll stick with conventional chains, after all my plow has a metal cutting edge anyway.:rolleyes:

/ Rubber style tire chains #9  
I had a pair of these rubber chains on my JD X485 with front snow blower. This was a 2WD tractor with turf tires and rear suit case weights. The chains worked very well and at the same time prevented damage to the driveway. I would recommend them based on my experience.

/ Rubber style tire chains #10  
I know this is an old thread (not much posted here on TBN about rubber chains which might be an indication of their effectiveness! but...)I have a rather long paved driveway that has a very steep section that goes for awhile - (my neighbor has slid down it with his tractor and he won't go up it any more for good reason) that I fear will bet really beat up with regular chains. I have R4's. Anyone have any experience with rubber chains?

Thank You Dana