Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower?

/ Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower? #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
Sunday I was passed by a truck/trailer with an old tractor and what appeared to be an old rotary mower on the back driven by a tire from the PTO to apparently a disk under the deck, with I suppose the blades on the disk perimeter. Pretty novel I thought to use that method rather than a gear box.
Anyone ever seen such a thing?

/ Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower? #3  
I saw one parked in a field on the way to my friends place. It was behind an old tractor with the 2 front tires right next to each other... Field was cut and it looked like it did a fine job. Next time I swing by there, I'll take a closer look and maybe a photo or two...

/ Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower? #4  
They do great FMC made them as well as woods. I have a friend hat has one right now on his big 70 hp tractor. I used to have a picture of one made at votech in Metal trades. When you hit an imovable object it will smoke the tire. It use to be a 2 groved implement tire but most get changes to the uni rib style. They didnt have a gear box to go bad just a bige set of greasble bearings. They do give a surprise when they blow out though. I had one go on a 4020 a friend has. Musta been a bum tire it was only 33 years old lol.

/ Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower? #5  
Our state highway dept still uses some of the FMC mowers with the tire clutch, if they hold up to that crew they must be tough.

/ Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower?
Cool! When he passed me I was pondering why he had what appeared to be a spare tire mounted on a mower:confused:
Then I got a chance to pass him back when he slowed for an exit and got a better look. Pretty ingenious:)