Default Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower?

Sunday I was passed by a truck/trailer with an old tractor and what appeared to be an old rotary mower on the back driven by a tire from the PTO to apparently a disk under the deck, with I suppose the blades on the disk perimeter. Pretty novel I thought to use that method rather than a gear box.
    Anyone ever seen such a thing?

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: Curious- Old tire driven rotary mower?

Something makes me think FMC made them. I must be getting old.........

Tractor
    L2800 - HST

I saw one parked in a field on the way to my friends place. It was behind an old tractor with the 2 front tires right next to each other... Field was cut and it looked like it did a fine job. Next time I swing by there, I'll take a closer look and maybe a photo or two...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

They do great FMC made them as well as woods. I have a friend hat has one right now on his big 70 hp tractor. I used to have a picture of one made at votech in Metal trades. When you hit an imovable object it will smoke the tire. It use to be a 2 groved implement tire but most get changes to the uni rib style. They didnt have a gear box to go bad just a bige set of greasble bearings. They do give a surprise when they blow out though. I had one go on a 4020 a friend has. Musta been a bum tire it was only 33 years old lol.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L5030 cab, JD 2940

Our state highway dept still uses some of the FMC mowers with the tire clutch, if they hold up to that crew they must be tough.

Cool! When he passed me I was pondering why he had what appeared to be a spare tire mounted on a mower
    Then I got a chance to pass him back when he slowed for an exit and got a better look. Pretty ingenious