Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25

Default Plug tractor tire.

Last week I picked up a nail in my rear tirebeing a half mile from home and not wanting to pull off wheel in customers yard,I plugged tire and completed the day. When I got tractor home I checked air pressure had 20 lbs,checked yesterday still had 20 lbs., 4 days later. I was wondering if anyone had long term sucess with tire plugs,or should I pull wheel and have patched on the inside?

The tires arn't filled with anything other than air and are Ind 15-19.5 on my kioti ck25. Since I probably will probably pick up another nail,with my luck I thought I would wait till I had a few more holes and than get them all patched at once.

Any thoughts anyone??

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.

Default Re: Plug tractor tire.

You can leave the plug in for the life of the tire. I've had plugs in for years. No need to patch from the inside unless the plug is leaking. Even in that case I'd probably just replug it.

Sincerely, Dirt
    "Good judgement comes from experience.Experience comes from bad judgement."

Tractor
    Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower

I wouldnt worry about pulling it off if it is holding air. Just carry a couple extra plugs around in case it happens again. I have 3 plugs in my neighbors tractor and they are all seperate holes and still holds air just the same.
    Montana 4340C w/loader, AgroTrend FU78 rear snowblower with hydraulic shute rotation, Horst 48" pallet forks, 3pt. 2-bottom plow, 6ft. bush hog rotarty cutter, 3pt. Woods 7ft back blade, 3pt. cultivator, 5ft 3pt. york rake, 6' KKII tiller, JD494 4-row planter. Future attachments: backhoe, grapple

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

I plug all my tires when I pick up a nail, etc. That goes for the atv, truck, cars, trailers, and tractor. Dirt's right...a good quality plug will last the life of the tire. I keep a plug kit in all my vehicles. A good plug kit will pay for itself with a couple flats. A lot cheaper and less hassle than having to patch the tire from the inside. Sometimes with a large hole I have plugged the hole using two plugs.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    I plug all my tires when I pick up a nail .
    I just plug the one with the nail hole in it.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    MT180D

Service stations now have available some sort of 'high-tech' plug that can plug some pretty big holes. One time a guy put about 4 in a fairly good sized hole and it held forever.

Once in a pinch I flattened a nail and drilled a small hole in flat area and inserted some poly cord dunked in contact cement inserted and lit the contact cement.
    That plug lasted forever! (I now always have a plug kit 'on hand')

Tractor
    NH 1925

My tires get plugs, I get far, far too many flats to do otherwise.

I do not change them out, or do anything else with them, unless they are leaking or giving me problems, which is seldom.

Tractor
    kioti dk551

piloon- it's not forever yet.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT-F

Echo to all that has been said above. When folks talk about a "good" tire plugger you should be aware that there are some low cost and poorly made sets out there. Spend the money on a good one (you can usually tell by how sturdy the handle is) and you won't regret it.

Anyone ever plug a hole in the sidewall?
    Kubota L3130DT-F, LA513 FEL, 7'Backblade, 5' TSC Box blade, Woods RM-301 Finish mower + 1975 Gravely 7.6HP with goodies

"Diagnosis is 80% of the cure." ~ Dr. M. A. Balcerski M.D.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

I have never done a sidewall. I would be careful about doing a sidewall, especially if any cords are cut. I would say to take the tire into a tire place if it's in the sidewall and let them handle it.

As to plug kits...I have the auto repair kits from Safety Seal. The difference between truck plugs and car plugs are length of the plug.

Tire Repair Kits
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast