Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Making my own tire chains

I have a JD 3320 with R4s that is about worthless when the ground is wet. I either need to go with R1 tires or put chains on the R4s. I priced chains and was shocked at what they wanted for them. Why can稚 I make my own? I have done this before on our lawn tractor and they worked great. I would just buy a roll of chain measure it out and weld it up. Is there any reason this would not work on my tractor?

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Default Re: Making my own tire chains

Factory chains are hardened, only the cross links not the side stringer, to reduce wear, if your only using them in dirt/mud should be OK but would not last long on paved surfaces, even the hardened ones wear pretty quickly. You could use those repair links instead of welding, that would speed things up.

They do make a huge difference, I mostly use chains in snow but was recently using my 2 WD tractor in the woods with new v-bar chains 4 link spaced, the ground was very greasy after some flooding rains, I was surprised how good it went pulling logs and pushing tree tops through the mud, I'm sure it would have gotten stuck just driving in there with out chains.

I know about the shock of the cost of chains at the dealer, mine wanted close to $500. for a set of rears.

I got a killer deal on chains I found through Graigslist close to my town, guy owned an auto parts warehouse and had several pallets of surplus chains, I walked out with 5 pails of chains for $150. had to mod some but others were perfect fits. Made 3 sets of large rears, and 4 sets of fronts and garden tractor rears.
    I looked and looked, asked everyone for used chains, couldn't find anything but got lucky with this find, there's still pallets of chains there but it's in CT.
    Good Luck, JB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn2484-jpg   -dscn2524-jpg   -dscn2477-jpg   -dscn2478-jpg  
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    Farmnought.Gravely Model L,Gravely Model LI,1941 Clinton two wheeler

Made these for my Wheel Horse. Cost about $30.

1945 Allis-Chalmers,1967 Wheelhorse.The wife has a bubble hooded Simplicity and a Dixon.
    Anything green here- has roots or gets spent!!!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Many JD

If you go to a place that sells equipment to city and county road departments you can buy cross chain links in bulk. You re-use the side chain and replace the cross chains. The chain is hardened and you can put the link you want to cut in a vice and snap it off with a pipe wrench by twisting the link. They also make a tool that looks like bolt cutters to spread and clamp the links that attach the cross chains to the side chain. We have done this for years to keep chains made up for dump trucks and a road grader to push snow.

How do you have room for chains on the rear? I have the large R-4s on my 3320 and you can't even stick your hand between the tire and the fender. I am going to have to make a set of wheel spacers to get chains to fit.

Dan

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Before you start building, check out:

Tire Chains by TireChains.com

They are very reasonably priced.

Tractor
    3940HST Montana

I made my own set for my Ford Ranger many years ago. I was too cheap to buy twisted link chain so I bought 1/4" straight and twisted each one by hand (more time than money ). If I did it again I wouldn't bother twisting the links - apparently the straight links work better than twisted (for traction not wear). They worked very well and I have no problem with wear on the softer steel but I never use them on pavement. They are now permanently installed on my old Suzuki SJ410.

You could make your own; the hardened chain is nice but may not be necessary if you don't run pavement. I think the price from tirechains.com is pretty good, hard to match the price buying the parts yourself - it's the shipping (and import to Canada for me) that would cost too much.
    Montana 3940HST
    Home made SS quick attach http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=141029

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Quote Originally Posted by DanD78 View Post
    How do you have room for chains on the rear? I have the large R-4s on my 3320 and you can't even stick your hand between the tire and the fender. I am going to have to make a set of wheel spacers to get chains to fit.
    Dan

Not sure about the 3320, but on my 4310 you gain about an inch or so by reversing the wheels, just enough to get a safe clearance for chains, there are some hydraulic lines very close so you do have to be careful.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

I've made several sets of chains for my old bolens garden tractor out of old car chains.
    Don't have a cent in them and work just fine.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504

You will definitely want these if you are doing it with the traditional cross links. Welcome to Labonville.com - Logging Supplies and Safety Apparel

You can find them cheaper sometimes, but after you swear and cuss and skin a few knuckles you will wish you had some.

The other option is s-hooks to connect chain to the side chain. These are great as they allow chain to rotate and wear evenly on all sides. Prevents the edges from wearing in one spot before the rest of the chain is worn out.
    Available here: Parts For Tire Chains
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -swivelhook-1-jpg  
    1986 Kubota 4150 w QA
    2005 Takeuchi 135 excavator
    2005 GMC 5500 10' Boss V
    1963 Oshkosh 1967
    2013 GMC 3500 6.0 w 9-2 Boss V Fisher poly Sander.
    IH 504, JD B, Ford 2n, Gehl 1475 Round Baler, JD 640 rake, Vermeer 2500 Bale Wrapper, Zetor 185 Drum Mower, New Idea 217 manure Spreader, Kuhn 4 star tedder, Farmi 501 winch.
    Local 740 Portland ME
    20 Scottish Highland Beef Cattle, 3 Herefords, 3 Goats, 2 Alpacas, 2 Llama, 72 chickens, and lots of maple trees.
    Facebook: Phillip View Farm

Tractor
    JD 3320

Just as an FYI--I've got the large R4's on my 3320 and have a set of chains from TireChains that fit with no problem--and greatly increase the traction and usefulness of the tractor in the winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc_0073-jpg  
    Last edited by B8FISH; 12-18-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: attached pic
    3320 300CX w/teeth, 448BH, MX-5 ,5' BB, 6' rear blade, JD 757ZTR, MS261, MS211

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast