Tire Question

/ Tire Question #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
My girl friend has a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer SUV. It has AWD & 4wd which is rarely used in the winter - no serious off roading of any kind.

One of her tires lost air pressure and she drove on it with very low pressure low for a short distance and wrecked the tire.

The tires are pretty new and in pretty good shape - other than as described above.

Question: The repair shop wants to sell her a used replacement tire and not a new tire.

Other than price, why would you want a used replacement tire? The repair shop gave her a multitude of reasons why she should get a used tire and not a new.

I would like to know if she should get a new or used tire from someone who knows tires.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Tire Question #2  
Did she buy the tires that are on the suv now ? If she did , did she get ( road hazzard warranty ) check the paperwork . If she didn't buy them and the tires are 75% of new , I would get a new tire that matches the others ( same brand , size etc )

/ Tire Question #3  
Only tow reasons I can think of to buy used...

1. Price Savings.

2. Nothing Else Available at the time.

/ Tire Question #4  
I can not think of a reason other than price either. Like stated before check the receipt for the tires. Many times they add in the road hazard and you do not know it. You may get a new tire for free.

Chris

/ Tire Question #5  
AWD should require all tires to be the exact same size. Not 3 old tires and one new one. I have just heard this, have never owned an awd vehicle. JC

/ Tire Question #6  
If it's 4WD or AWD, I'd want all 4 tires the same size. If 3 are worn a bit and a new one is added, it will not be the same size. I don't have 4WD or AWD, but I'd never buy one new tire. I either buy 4 or I buy 2 and replace both tires on the same axle.