Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota F2400, Kubota F2100, Farmtrac 360, Tool Cat

Default Tire Question

My girl friend has a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer SUV. It has AWD & 4wd which is rarely used in the winter - no serious off roading of any kind.

One of her tires lost air pressure and she drove on it with very low pressure low for a short distance and wrecked the tire.

The tires are pretty new and in pretty good shape - other than as described above.

Question: The repair shop wants to sell her a used replacement tire and not a new tire.

Other than price, why would you want a used replacement tire? The repair shop gave her a multitude of reasons why she should get a used tire and not a new.

I would like to know if she should get a new or used tire from someone who knows tires.

TIA

Yooper Dave

Tractor
    ford 4630 , ford 2120 4x4 , fel bx 1860 48 " mmm, case 580 se tlb , kubota L35 tlb

Default Re: Tire Question

Did she buy the tires that are on the suv now ? If she did , did she get ( road hazzard warranty ) check the paperwork . If she didn't buy them and the tires are 75% of new , I would get a new tire that matches the others ( same brand , size etc )

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower

Only tow reasons I can think of to buy used...

1. Price Savings.

2. Nothing Else Available at the time.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I can not think of a reason other than price either. Like stated before check the receipt for the tires. Many times they add in the road hazard and you do not know it. You may get a new tire for free.

Chris

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 2520

AWD should require all tires to be the exact same size. Not 3 old tires and one new one. I have just heard this, have never owned an awd vehicle. JC
    JD 3320 LX5, KK rake and off brand box and rear blade. Millonzi grapple. Deere X495 for grass cutting.
    01 Ram 4x4 2500 CTD and 22' 12k trailer. Want a tiller and dump trailer.

If it's 4WD or AWD, I'd want all 4 tires the same size. If 3 are worn a bit and a new one is added, it will not be the same size. I don't have 4WD or AWD, but I'd never buy one new tire. I either buy 4 or I buy 2 and replace both tires on the same axle.
    Bird