Tire with bllast needs Air

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #1  

tdenny

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 855 4WD, HST
Hello all,

I have a question about ballasted tires. I know my JD 855 has liquid ballast in the tires (not sure what kind). I have noticed that one of the rear tires seems "low". What I'd like to know is can I just move the tractor forward so the valve stem is at the top of the rim and use my compressor to put some more pressure into that tire? Thanks for any help!!!

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #4  
Always rinse your chuck with water afterwards. A little soap would not hurt either
Calcium cholide is very corrosive, just look at my wheels/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Also they make a special tire gauge for filled tires, rinse that off also.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #5  
Stupid question, but I don't understand why a special guage is required for liquid-filled tires. Thanks.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air
Thanks guys that's what I was hoping. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #7  
<font color=blue>why a special guage is required for liquid-filled tires</font color=blue>

Moisture will damage a lot of the regular tire gauges, but you can buy an air/liquid gauge for about the same price as just an air gauge. Of course, if the liquid you use is corrosive, i.e., calcium, then I'd sure rinse it out with water after use. What I've always done is stop the tractor with the valve stem at the top (12 o'clock position), then give it a short blast of air from the air hose, whether the tire's low or not, to clear the valve stem, then put the gauge on it.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #8  
Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking that the liquid altered the way the pressure needed to be read...

Thanks!

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #9  
The pressure should be the same with either gauge, but you reminded me of another difference in gauges; the air/liquid gauges I've used were spring loaded, i.e., you have to read the gauge while it's pushed on the valve stem because when you take it off, the spring retracts the stem and pushes out anything that is in it. Most (but not all) regular gauges don't have that spring.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #10  
you got the idea right, but why did that tire go low? or was it low when u got it?