Filled Tire Performance

/ Filled Tire Performance #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I plan to have my rear tires (turf) filled with Rim-Guard to provide ballast while using my FEL. Can anyone tell me what to expect about tractor handling or performance after the fill. Will it take longer to stop? Will I hear it sloshing around? Will it be harder on my trans? Will it take longer to accelerate? Will it be harder on my turf? You know, what did you notice after you had your tires filled?
Jerry

/ Filled Tire Performance #2  
The addition of liquid ballast to tires should not have a large effect on the performance of your tractor in terms of acceleration or stopping distance. It might however be harder on your turf as the ground pressure will increase. Ground pressure is generally measured in psi, and since you are increasing the pounds, and not changing the number of square inches of tire in contact with the ground, you are increasing the ground pressure. The best way to counter this effect, if it is imperative that you do so, is to change to wider tires as these will have a larger ground contact patch, thereby distributing the increased weight over a larger surface.

Adding fixed wheel weights will have a larger effect of increasing driveline wear, taking longer to accelerate (0-60 times for your tractor?), and taking longer to stop, but still not very noticeable.

/ Filled Tire Performance #3  
I have had both wheel weights and fluids. You will not hear the sloshing of the fluid in the tires. I have not noticed any accelerated wear with weights or fluid and this is with hundreds of hours of usage. Your biggest two concerns with fluid, depending on type, is damage to your wheel rims. Calcium based fluids will rust out your rims eventually. As rf33 already stated, this will up your psi on your tires. A spring time lawn, if you use the tractor for mowing, will get rutted up by a heavy tractor. I have a 4610 that is just too heavy to mow with in the spring. It has to be dry or I will leave some pretty good sized ruts. one more thing, with fluid if you get a flat tire, you will probably need to call a tire service company for repair. This is due to the weight, and replenishment of lost fluids. Good luck!

/ Filled Tire Performance #4  
Hi Jerry,

You won't notice a difference, I'll bet. Until you have to change a tire /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. That's one of the advantages of putting the ballast inside the tire - you don't get much of a momentum shift that impacts the motion of the tractor.

...Chris

/ Filled Tire Performance #5  
Jerry, a few years ago a neighbor bought a used 85hp tractor and had no idea the tires were filled with calcium until he punctured a tire. I couldn't tell any difference at all with my B2710 except for the increased traction after I filled them with water and antifreeze.

/ Filled Tire Performance #6  
<font color=red>"taking longer to accelerate (0-60 times for your tractor?)</font color=red>

0 to 60???!!!

/ Filled Tire Performance #7  
When I filled the R4's on my B7500, the differences were better traction and the rear wheels both stayed on the ground when using the loader. The grass didn't seem to notice the added weight. I liked rf33's explanation above. It would be interesting to see the weight per square inch of rubber (rubber actually in contact with) on the ground on different tractor / tire combos....................chim

/ Filled Tire Performance #8  
Is that 0-60 minutes?

/ Filled Tire Performance #10  
I never noticed much of a change when I filled the rears and later the fronts. The ride may be a bit stiffer, especially on pavement, but it's not really an issue. You will tear up the grass more when wet and turning.