trailer tire blowout

/ trailer tire blowout #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
I was on the way home last night when the tire suddenly blew! I had no problems slowing down and stopping as everything was perfectly smooth to a stop. To make a long story short, I had a loaded trailer of firewood and wood splitter in it and was 20 mins from home on 1.5 trip. I had no spare for the trailer, and didn't have the right wrench in the truck for the trailer lugs. :mad: Funny thing is that last week I was at horrible frieght picking up a 4 ton bottle jack on sale with coupon for under 7 bucks and thought it would be perfect for the trailer with a load. I had to leave the trailer on side of road while I went home to get tools and several spare tires. Luckyly I was able to make it home with a tire cannablized from my camper :eek:. I am including pics of the trailer loaded with wood and the blowout of the tire.

Any guesses why the tire blew out ? The tires and trailer is less then 3 years old. I don't think the loaded trailer is over 4k. The trailer is rated for 7k. The only thing I can think of is a somehow there was a puncture in tire causing a fast leak and then blow out from heat . :( Any ideas guys ?

Attachments

• trailer 001.jpg
    trailer 001.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 928
  • trailer 002.jpg
    trailer 002.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 2,806
  • trailer 003.jpg
    trailer 003.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 1,291
   / trailer tire blowout #2  
My guess is you were overloaded. Thats looks like a "B" rated tire and I have experience with hauling firewood. You have more weight there than you think. I've seen brandy new 7K trailers with not enough tire on them. Especially the ones with 14" tires.

/ trailer tire blowout #3  
Pic #2 says it all: Belt Edge Separation. Thats not what a "blowout" looks like either. I'll bet you were riding on it soft a while. Doesn't have to get hot to fail the carcass like this.

Underinflation is the usual cause of this: heat melts the binder laps between the tread and the shoulder. Then loss of air. Check tire pressures before you head out next time. If they all suffered from low air, the other 3 tires are candidates for the same failure mode. Deflection is the enemy of tires. Air pressure reduces deflection but increases loads on the axle parts.

A "blowout" from a shoulder hernia would only be damaged in a localized spot. Even if you drove it home.

If the trailer was parked a long time with load on it in summer heat, then a rupture also is likely. That's why they say to park them on jackstands. Problem then is that folks drive away without removing the stands.

If you were only 1.5 miles from home, back into a piece of firewood to jack the axle up on the bad side. Then jam anothe piece in the walking beam on the front side and get her home slowly. (don't leave the 1st piece of wood still there in the road). This method works if the flat tire still is good. Not true it this case, but it will save the wheel rim.

/ trailer tire blowout #4  
If its a Carlisle Tire, this is nothing new. They are JUNK. Same with the Goodyear Marathons of the last 3 or 4 years. They used to be head of the class but no more. I run through more of them on boats then I can shake a stick at but the oem's still put them on. I am having good luck with the Trailer King, Trail Masters, and such from China.

As for the weight, you will be surprised as how much weight is on there. Just think, the average log weighs what, 5#. Now multiply it by the number in that load and I am guessing you were at or over max weight once you factor in the weight of the splitter and the 1,500# the trailer weighs.

I have been cautioning a few of the new trailer owners on this site to get the bottle jack as you did and the HF or WalMart Folding 4 Way Lug Wrench for another $10. Best money you will ever spend on your trailer. Of course that is no good without a spare. I broke my F-250 Jack with my first trailer flat and then to add insult to injury I was like you and did not have the right lug wrench.

Chris

/ trailer tire blowout #5  
I have been cautioning a few of the new trailer owners on this site to get the bottle jack as you did and the HF or WalMart Folding 4 Way Lug Wrench for another $10. Best money you will ever spend on your trailer.
I carry a farm jack for the trailer. Very handy and quick for trailers. Also I really like having a trailer that the wheel and tires match the pulling vehicle. Makes things real simple.

/ trailer tire blowout #6  
Wood weighs about 4000 lbs per cord. You've got what looks like more than a cord there and you also need to consider the weight of the trailer in that 7000 lb rating. On a 7000 lb trailer you can expect a good 2000 lbs of trailer weight.

Also, the tires sold with these car haulers are often of a lower rating than required to use all 7000 lbs of GVWR. The tire will have a weight rating that is only valid when they are at max air pressure. That rating must be more than 1750# to get the full 7000# rating.

That was a dang nice load of wood though.

I carry a star wrench but I assumed, maybe wrongly, that the jack for my F350 would work on the trailer too.

/ trailer tire blowout #7  
When tractor trailer tires do that it is called a 'zipper' failure. Study the 'tire gators' you see on the highway. Most people say they are cheapo recaps but a close look shows that most of them have cord wires [steel belts] sticking out. Recaps are applied to the outer layer so those are not recaps.

There are now alot of equalizing connectors on dual tires to keep the pressure equal as an imbalance of air pressure makes one tire bear the most weight.

Your case is the opposite the weight cause the tire w/ the least pressure so sufffer extream sidewall flex. Once a cord breaks the rest of the weakened adjoining cords un-zip just like the 18 wheeler tires.

Nice load, er...overload, of wood on there. I'd think about replacing all the tires with matching trailer tries with the highest weight rating available in that size. Don't leave the trailer loaded for long periods and always check and balance your air pressure b/4 starting a trip.

It's a good idea to check the weight rating on the tires on the towing vehicle too. Detroit often uses the minimum rated tire. Check the number of plies too. Two ply rated single ply sidewalls are very common but two ply sidewalls are better for carrying heavy loads...the two ply rated single ply rides better

/ trailer tire blowout #8  
I carry a farm jack for the trailer. Very handy and quick for trailers. Also I really like having a trailer that the wheel and tires match the pulling vehicle. Makes things real simple.
How does matching trailer and pulling veh. wheels Make things real simple.?

/ trailer tire blowout #10  
How does matching trailer and pulling veh. wheels Make things real simple.?
Don't see it. If you happen to own a 1983 D50 pickup that you don't mind putting C rated 185/R15 tires on, then perhaps. But I promise my Expedition would look funny with trailer tires, and I doubt I'm putting 17 inch rims on my trailer anytime soon.

Commonality in lug nut/wrench sizes, perhaps. But in tire sizes, lug patterns, etc. are never going to agree between truck and trailer.