Tractor tire recommendation

/ Tractor tire recommendation #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I have a 1951 Ferguson TEA and it has developed a serious "limp" on the right front. When I pump up the tire there is air blowing out the sidewall - not a good sign I am sure. The tires, which have been on the tractor for at least the 20 years I have owned it (and likely 10 or 20 more for the previous owner) are sized at 600X16 with three ribs and they are cracked and checked but have lots of tread remaining. I use the Fergie to run a 5 ft. Bush Hog, plow a garden, pull a wagon etc. - nothing too heavy.

Are the tires just getting old and giving up or should I try to repair this with a new tube and a boot over the hole.

The tire dealers all seem to want to sell new (big surprise). Any opinions or recommendations on brands - I am in Central Ontario, Canada.

Bob

/ Tractor tire recommendation #2  
Quick and dirty fix - a used truck tire. A lot of older tractors around here have automotive tires on the front. Of course, you'll want two to match. I don't think you will overload them with the Fergie.

A boot & tube are cheaper, most likely, but used tires are $15-20 each around here. And you said your tires are old, and you can get some fairly aggressive tread styles & rugged construction, especially if you find old bias plys.

/ Tractor tire recommendation #3  
The neighbor down the street has a beat to hell old ford ?n with car tires/rims on it.
If you have a tsc nearby, their 3 rib tires aren't terribly expensive.. may even have a tube and or boot for you which would be cheaper.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"Quick and dirty fix - a used truck tire. A lot of older tractors around here have automotive tires on the front. Of course, you'll want two to match. I don't think you will overload them with the Fergie.

A boot & tube are cheaper, most likely, but used tires are $15-20 each around here. And you said your tires are old, and you can get some fairly aggressive tread styles & rugged construction, especially if you find old bias plys. "

/ Tractor tire recommendation #4  
You would do better to put ribbed tires back on. Automotive tires require more effort on the steering wheel to turn and are about useless when the ground is a little greasy. My brother put car tires on his Allis and had them back off again within a month.

/ Tractor tire recommendation #5  
I agree with not using a truck tire. I also have a 1951 Fergie (mine's a TO-20). The ribbed tires are invaluable for holding steady on a slope, and as was said are much better for steering. If the tires are 20-30 years old, I'd say your Fergie deserves a new set of front tires. The Fergie will be around forever, but every 30 or so years, you might need to replace the tires. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tractor tire recommendation #6  
Bob, if the tire otherwise looks like it's not too badly worn or checked (we've run on 40-plus year old tires), I'd give a repair a chance if it can be done not too expensively. Patch it and tube it and if the tire is otherwise sound, I think you'll be OK. It the tire sidewall is falling apart, you have no choice but to replace it. In that case, I too would recommend the 3-rib.

/ Tractor tire recommendation
Thanks for the collective wisdom of the members here. I was checking the "ggod tire" last night and what I thought at first to be some grass or mud turns out to be chords and a bulge on the sidewall/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. The plethora of checks, cracks and scrapes leads me to the inevitable conclusion that replacement is the only real option.

The advice on rib tires is very much appreciated - I've never driven a Fergie with the truck style front tire option but, it does sound like a less desirable choice.

As RichZ says - after 30+ years the old Fergie deserves a new set of tires - when I amortize a couple of hundred bucks over the next 30 years it works out to something less thn $0.02 a day. I my "real job" I work with numbers a fair bit and I know they can be used to rationalize darn near anything /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif ( wonder if it will work on that box-blade I'm thinking about?)

Bob