Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast?

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #1  

Tags

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX2360/ Kubota SVL90-2/ Kobelco 115SR/ Takeuchi TB260
I am just wondering if anybody has ever filled a tire half way with a liquid,such as anti-freeze and water?I ask because I don't need the benefit of all the weight filling them all the way would give me.I was told that filling them half way may cause the machine to surge while driving it,so I was just wondering if any of you fine people have done this or know anything about it,any info would be appreciated.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #2  
I only filled the tires on my TC40D half way and have had no problems.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #3  
Did it with antifreeze/water mix in my B7500HST..........chim

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #4  
Tags, I filled my TC21D rear tires about 3/4 of the way. My cousin was in the tire business for about 30 years, and helped me. He said that I may notice some surging. I didn't. I think from what me told me, that the size of the tire, and tractor has a lot to do with it. The larger tractor will take the motion better. Also remember you still need air in the tire. The air will stay at the top of the tire, and keep the fluid at the bottom. If you keep enough air in the tire, the fluid can't move around as much.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #5  
If you do decide to go half full, do NOT use a Calcium Chloride solution. It is corrosive. Normally you fill the tire enough to cover the top of the rim. If it's only half full, the rims are constantly dipping into the solution, then out into the air. Result is greatly accelerated corrosion. Tubes can help this, but tubes have their own problems with CaCl (if you develop a slow seep, the solution can get between the tube and the rim, where there will also be some air ... result is corrosion)

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #6  
I think only gravity will keep the fluid at the bottom. Air only keeps the tire in the shape you want it. Starting and stopping quickly possibly could get the fluid sloshing around enough that you might feel it, but normal driving (moving forward and backward) will likely not be noticeable. Just my opinion.

In the 'old days' of geared tractors, occasionally someone would let one coast down a long, steep hill - getting up enough speed that the fluid would start to roll over the top in a filled tire. This would cause some uncontrollable flopping of the tires, and not necessarily in unison on both sides. Apparently this would cause the tractor to flip, which was undesireable. Also heard of this happening when a tractor was being pulled at speeds above what they were supposed to be going.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast?
<font color=blue>"Apparently this would cause the tractor to flip,which was undesireable."</font color=blue>....

Very funny and very true at the same time,ya gotta love a good sense of humor.Keep the info coming,I like what I'm reading.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #8  
I guess if you have one of those take the crop to market (orchard) tractors that'll do an honest 50 mph, you don't want to ballast your tires.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #9  
I have the tires on my D19 Allis chalmers about half full. You won't have any problems when driving. When you stop however, you will tend to feel the tractor rocking back and forth as the fluid sloshes and shifts in the tire. I have Cacium chloride in the tires but also have an inner tube. I tend to always use tubes with Ca chloride.

/ Anyone ever fill a tire halfway for ballast? #10  
Tags I understand the remark about not using Calcium if your going to fill it less then enough to allow oxygen to attack the steel rim, but what the heck does this mean "Apparently this would cause the tractor to flip, which was undesireable." Why would one not want his tractor to be special and perform tricks? I'm gonna try it. Rat....