Constantly flat front tire.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a front tire that is constantly going flat. Its a tubeless ag tire (4wd). It has many tiny leaks around the bead. I think the problem is my fault. Several times I have neglected to notice that the air pressure was low and have driven the tire off the rim, filling the rim with dirt etc. To fix that I have removed the tire myself to clean out the dirt and stuff. I've used the wrong tools (crow bar, cat's claw, screwdrivers,etc) to remove and remount the tire, plus I've had it done at a tire place several times. I think I have damaged the bead and that's why it continues to leak.

I'm tired of it being flat every weekend so I'm looking at my options:

1) Bead sealer. Don't know what it is. Never used it before. Don't know if it will help with a damaged bead.

2) Getting tubes put in. This would solve the leaking bead problem. But I'm worried about punctures. I've got honey locust trees like weeds around here. Always finding them stuck in my tires, but they've never caused a flat so far.

3) Foam. I don't know much about this. Have several concerns. Expense is one of them. Also, does the foam ruin the tire and rim if you ever want to do anything else? I'm also concerned about sidewall flex. Under heavy bucket loads these R4's have fairly weak sidewalls and tend to flex too much unless air pressure is just right. Will the foam make this worse? Better? Finally, but least of my worries, how about ride quality? Too bumpy?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #2  
Not sure which you have (R1 or R4) R1's are AG tires, R4's are Industrial tread.
In any case, if you have driven it off the rim and have dirt in the tire it needs to be cleaned out. Whether you use a sealer, tube, or foam, the rim, tire, and bead need to be cleaned then lube the bead, re-mounted and set to proper pressure. If its not cleaned out and there is any dirt on the rim where the bead seats it won't hold air.

/ Constantly flat front tire.
They're R1's. And yep, I've cleaned the bead thoroughly several times and so has the tire place. So at this point, dirt is not the issue. Like I say, I'm sure I've damaged the bead using the wrong tools. There are several small tears. But I don't think the tire is a loss yet. Even with these slow leaks I can fill it with air and it will keep pressure all day long, but when I come back a week or two later, its flat again.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #4  
The cheapest easiest is to put some tire sealer in it. If that don't work go to the next step.:D

/ Constantly flat front tire. #6  
Tube, put a tube in it till the tire in no longer usable then you can go back to tubless. Slime is a mess, it breaks down over a few years and will no longer work and it's worthless on your kind of leak.
I used slime in several tires and all of them over a few year period quit holding air and they either have tubes in them now or have different tires on them.

Honey locus is a pain, I have eradicated 99.9% of it on my property, atleast the thorns break down over time unlike Mesquite.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #7  
I have this problem with a farmtrac 300 4wd and kubota 2910 4wd. On the farmtrac I have replaced the tire (still does it). On the kubota I have remounted it and had tire dealer remount (still does it). I believe it has more to do with engaging 4wd. I have not had the problem if left in 2wd or 4wd on soft surface but using the loader on harder surfaces in 4wd is where it shows up. Let us know your cure!

/ Constantly flat front tire.
Honey locus is a pain, I have eradicated 99.9% of it on my property, atleast the thorns break down over time unlike Mesquite.

If I eradicated 99.9% of my honeylocust all I'd have left is dirt and briars.:D

Our official name for our place is Honey Locust Hill, but we usually just call it 'the cabin'. I've never had experience with mesquite but the locust here holds up a long time, even considered by some to be good for fence posts etc. But you're right, its primarily the fresh thorns that give you fits.

A fellow I work with has gone with foam filled fronts but said it cost nearly $300 for the pair.:eek:

So I think I'll go with tubes, especially since that's the most easily reversible of the options. It would be very easy to pull them out and put a tubeless valve stem back in if they didn't work out.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #9  
Couple of years ago, I posted a website that you call the manufacture of some stuff called Bulletproof I believe. You tell them the size of the tire you want sealed, and they compute the volume and when you receive it, you mix with water and install. Supposed to seat 1/4 in hole.

Bead Seal, looks like thin tar, available at NAPA, or other parts stores.

If you are going to try bead seal, put the bead seal on both sides of the tire, and then put just a little soapy water on the inner edge of the tire, to help slide on. Some only put bead seal on the rim itself. Whichever.

When finished, spray soapy water on the tire bead and check for leaks

On the slime thing, most people do not put enough slime in the tire, and expect it to work. I have used it in commercial mowing tires, and it does work.
On a 22x11x8, I would use 32 oz per tire.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #10  
Murphy Soap, Murphy Soap, Murphy Soap.

Not Murphy oil soap.

I've seen this stuff used to fill a 1" gap between the tire and bead (on a semi no less) to get it seated with a low volume air compressor. It will fill those little imperfections in the rim and bead, just wipe off the excess when your done.

MURPHY'S CONCENTRATED EXTRA SLIPPERY TIRE AND TUBE MOUNTING COMPOUND (1GAL) (MU-1950)
Rating: none
Quantity in Basket:none Price: $7.90
Code: MU-1950 Shipping Weight: 8.50 pounds
Question about this product?

Quantity:
FEATURES:
A concentrated liquid made from the finest raw materials available.
Contains improved super lubricity polymers
Economical-dilutes 2 to 1
Rust inhibitor added to help fight rim rust
Formulated for super fast mounting of passenger tires
SPEC:
1 gal.
CATEGORIES MU-1950 IN: Murphy's, Tire Bead Lub. Mounting Compound