So, you have a flat tire.....

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #1  

The Dougster

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
... on your tractor!... I have had my "Bota for two years now, and I'm sure I was like most of you and don't spend a great deal of time worrying about flats..

Well, I was working away last Saturday without a care in the world when I discovered my right front tire was flat... Geez Louise! (sorry Louise).. Da Warden had gone to town shopping... "No problem, I say, I'll call a neighbor to give me a ride to the house where my truck was parked..... Guess what? The battery in my cell phone was dead.... That darn thing never dies!... the house is about five-miles away and looked to be fifty-miles... let me explain, I'm a polio survivor and walking is a chore for me... fortunately, I did have my cane on-board so I started walking. We had gotten a little rain the day before and it was hot & humid...
To make the story a bit shorter, I made it home and had gotten the tire off the tractor and about 4 PM, drove the 11-miles into Lampasas to get the tire repaired... Oops... It seems that all tire repair stores close at noon on Saturday... I mutter something like.. "Darn" and decide I'll drive to Burnet, about 25-miles away only to discover the same problem, no tire repair places are open... The must be City ordinances forbidding flat tires on Saturday afternoon... Even harder to believe is that Burnet doesn't even have a Wal Mart... Geez Louise (sorry Louise)
Having run out of options, I drive back to the ranch and plan to block up the tractor and return the following week with a repaired tire....
Da Warden and I were sitting under our favorite shade tree late in the day when a neighbor drives up. She has brought a huge bag of veggies from her graden. Upon hearing our tale of woe, she declares... "Why, we have the best tire guy right here in Lometa (a town of barley 600 people on a busy day) and he will even come out here to fix it!"
She was right. The fellow came out at 6:30 PM on Saturday evening, made the repairs and only charged me $60 American....
The point of this little saga? Do you have a plan for when your tractor develops a flat tire? A number to call? Chances are that sooner or later you will have a flat and I hope that by reading this post, you will have identified a business that you can call on to get your problems solved.
Later this morning I plan to run into town and buy a tire plugging kit so that if and when I do get a leak, I can put in a plug to enable me to continue working, or at least, drive the tractor back to the barn so I can get it fixed.. Give it a thought folks and it might save you a headache or two... Okidokers?

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #2  
Just make your story from the Eastern WA. and that would be me. Now, I'm capable of doing all my own tire work. I've the slide hammer bead breaker; asorted tire irons; asorted tire hammers; tire & tube compond; air buffer; patches & glue. The hardest thing is to have fresh glue on hand constantly. Even a small pint size container of glue is hard to come by on a Saturday afternoon around here. I've been so dissappointed with the local on site tire sevice that now it's all up to me. Tire Service is rediculously high and not when you need it on a weekend either. I'm lookin' for suggestions as how to keep tire repair glue fresh? bjr

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #3  
If you don't mind the gooey mess in the tire, keep some fix a flat etc and a 12 volt air compressor and just fix it right there and keep on trucking. I usually don't spot mine quick enough and the tire is off the rim so I have to do the walking thing and go back with the atv to get the tire and take if back home and fix it.

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #4  
Guess I am blessed. Learned a while back to call a certian local tireshop and they don't charge much more to come to me than me to take to them. For filled tube tires that taking to them is a real job. Ask in advance. I have used the plug kits that even Wal Mart sells on tractor tires with good results. But not tubed tires.

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #5  
I have used the plug kits that even Wal Mart sells on tractor tires with good results. But not tubed tires.

I tried mine on a tubed tire. It was by accident. Someone had put a tube in a tubeless garden tractor tire. I saw where the air was coming out and put a plug there. Aired the tire up and it still went flat. I didn't even realize there was a tube in it until finally I took it to the local farm store (within walking distance of my place), and the guy there who works with me on the fire department laughed at me the whole time he was replacing the tube.

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #6  
-Dougster- Just a friendly comment from a neighbor. Going into Lampasas and using a certain tire shop (not to be mentioned publicly) could have cost you a bunch. I keep a bottle of slime handy and an air compressor. When I get back to the shop then I find the leak and use a plug. I know for my back tires I'll have to have someone come out as I don't have the strength or tools to dismount the rears. 480ft.lbs. needs LARGE TOOLS.

Glad you got it fixed though.

BTW; looks like I may have a new place closer to Cove. 32ac. Hope to know something soon. If this comes though it means only driveing 7 miles to feed rather than 20+.

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #7  
You can't stop a leak in a tire thas has a tube in it with a plug.
I tried mine on a tubed tire. It was by accident. Someone had put a tube in a tubeless garden tractor tire. I saw where the air was coming out and put a plug there. Aired the tire up and it still went flat. I didn't even realize there was a tube in it until finally I took it to the local farm store (within walking distance of my place), and the guy there who works with me on the fire department laughed at me the whole time he was replacing the tube.
Don't matter it the tire is tubless or a tube type.

/ So, you have a flat tire.....
RWolfe, I appreciate the advice... My problem was a broken/torn valve stem... apparently I ran over a stick or something that ripped it loose... after learning about the fellow in Lometa, I suspect I'll continue to use him as long as he stays in business... Lometa is only 6-miles away where Lampasas is 11-miles...
This fellow told me that "Tire seal" available at TS is better than slime with slime being second best.... Personally, I don't have a clue but will probably go with his advice.... Thus far, I'm still tubeless...
Good luck with your new acreage... I hope it's all you wish for.... I've still got a huge pile of mesquite for whenever you get the notion... lol

/ So, you have a flat tire..... #9  

ouch - that gotta hurt your pride!:(